Sony IMX290 Vs. IMX291 2MP Sensors What's The Difference?

Both IMX290 and IMX291 are Sony 2MP low light imaging sensors of same size of 1/2.8. Sony semiconductor website has specs for the IMX sensors and reading them the only difference I see between IMX290 and IMX291 is BOL-HDR in IMX290.

The spec sheet says BOL-HDR has improved picture quality under low illumination. If that's true, why then make a IMX291. There has to be something else that makes it's existence worthwhile.

I see cameras with both sensors. Dashcams seem to use IMX291.

Anyone know what's the difference between IMX290 vs. IMX291? Why choose one over the other?

Login to read this IPVM discussion.
Why do I need to log in?
IPVM conducts unique testing and research funded by member's payments enabling us to offer the most independent, accurate and in-depth information.

*** **** ***** **** ***-*** *** ******** ******* ******* ***** low ************. ** ****'* ****, *** **** **** * ******. There *** ** ** ********* **** **** ***** **'* ********* worthwhile.

****, ** **** ****** **** *** *** **** *** *****?

******* **** ******* ******* ***** *** ******** ******* ** ******* DOL-HDR.

* ***** **** - *** ********* ******** **** ******** ******** and ***-**** *** *********. (*** ********* ******** **** *** ******** exposure-type *** ********.)

* *** **** **** .... ***** ** ***** **** ********* is *** ****** ***.

* **** *** ************ ****** *** ******** ***** *** ** choose *** ****** ** *** **** *** *****.

Newest Discussions

Posts Latest
less than a minute by Ross Samek
less than a minute by Undisclosed End User #5
less than a minute by Undisclosed #2
2 minutes by Shannon Davis
10 minutes by Undisclosed Manufacturer #2