Subscriber Discussion

Solve Lost Badges - Implant RFID Chips In Employees

Brian Karas
Jul 24, 2017
IPVM

A Wisconsin company will let employees use microchip implants to buy snacks and open doors

This is not the first time I have heard of this over the years. Anyone ever have this done, or know someone who has? Would you consider getting an RFID chip implanted in your hand for your own benefit (e.g.: unlock doors at home, start your car, etc)?

VOTE

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Absolutely, I'd consider it an upgrade.

(5)
SD
Shannon Davis
Jul 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Solve lost badges by going to a Bluetooth mobile app solution. People in general don't share their phones but they do lose their phones but no near as often as losing a badge.

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jul 24, 2017

I'd be concerned about the long term health risks of the implant.  Too many "safe and approved" things cause problems down the road.

(2)
(1)
Brian Rhodes
Jul 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

What advantages do implants have over common biometrics?  I'm not sure the benefits outweigh the risks, from a pure technology point-of-view.

(1)
Harrison Mitchell
Jul 25, 2017

I'd be more concerned with how long before RFID technology is replaced with something else, and now I gotta have this thing cut out of me.

(3)
UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Jul 26, 2017

Talk about a way to ensure a low workforce turn over. What is the employee to do when they decide to move on from the company?

Scott Lindley
Jul 26, 2017
Farpointe Data, Inc.

Hype surrounding this topic is surprising.  Reminiscent of the discussions surrounding VeriChip a decade ago.  Below's a picture, as well as a few links from the archive members may find entertaining: http://www.spychips.com/ & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PositiveID.

(2)
John Scanlan
Aug 08, 2017
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

Pennsylvania just introduced a bill that aims to prevent being chipped as an employment requirement.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions