Subscriber Discussion

Solar Options To Power A Pole Mounted PTZ Camera?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 01, 2017

We have a large account that uses pole mounted ptz cameras in parking lots. The setup is usually a non-ir IP PTZ, small poe switch and a wireless bridge with a poe power adapter in a powered nema box. The installs are often delayed by the need to have electricians install our nema box.

I'm looking for solar options that don't require an electrician for their sites in the southern parts of the country to help expedite these installations. Aesthetics are important, but reliability is key as we will have to service these for 3 years minimum from our home office in the Midwest. This means contractor warranty expense or dispatching a tech on a long trip.

Does anyone have reccomendations? Actual deployment experience is especially appreciated.

John Bazyk
Jul 01, 2017
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

Checkout comnet they have a solution. Is about 12k. 

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 02, 2017

Concur here. Have used the Comnet solution and it works well. 

(1)
JE
Jim Elder
Jul 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

In my experience, the only reason why you would actually need a licensed electrician is if the NEMA box requires high voltage (i.e. 120VAC) or it is company policy.  No experience with actual installation of Comnet; but i would agree with John, from what i know. 

(1)
(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Jul 02, 2017

Check out Tycon Systems They have turn key solar solutions which all you have to do is pick your power requirements.  They have kits that start at under $1000.

Once your purchase your first kit you will quickly figure out how to source your own solar panels, charge controllers and batteries. 

(1)
(1)
BL
Brian Leander
Jul 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Take a look at Sun Surveillance

We have implemented these systems for close to a decade now and they are solid. Their core business is turn-key solar powered/wireless camera units and can provide any level of integration you would need. They can provide a kit if you want to handle some of the integration yourself, or provide a turn-key solution with the camera/wireless/peripherals of your choice. Everything can be pre-wired and ready for deployment and their design includes their own custom NEMA box that is causing you delays.

More importantly, they will provide a performance guarantee for each system they sell, as it is custom tailored (based on load requirements and insolation rating of the area of use). This takes the guess work out of sizing the components. They'll take good care of you.

(1)
(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Jul 04, 2017

Try, https://www.ubnt.com/sunmax/sunmax/

The rest is battery set, inverter, charger and few calculations.

Acquire the knowledge, bench/field test and your team is ready to deploy.

If you are looking for the McDonald's drive thru...its that way ===>

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions