Subscriber Discussion

Solar Cells: 20X Improvement?

SR
Scott Reames
May 29, 2013

While reading Micropower's 2nd generation thread I wondered to myself, why are all solar panels flat thereby limiting their voltage output proportional to the area they occupy?  The article states the solar panel is relatively small to reduce wind load and poor aesthetics I started thinking, why not shape the panels into a geometric shape that doesn't have these issues?  I Googled shaped solar panels and saw this.

v3 solar, solar cones, solar efficiency, photovoltaic cones, unusual solar configuration, solar panels, spinning solar

This solar cell spins and according to the manufacturer, this device captures sunlight all day, spits out 20X more than regular solar cells and solves the cooling problem it seems regular cells have. 

I wonder what this technology will cost when introduced and could you adapt it to a wireless camera?

JH
John Honovich
May 29, 2013
IPVM

Here's a demo video from the manufacturer, V3Solar, of it:

Also, I edited your post. You said they were claiming '20%', actually they are claiming a massive '20X' gain.

JH
John Honovich
May 29, 2013
IPVM

Btw, there's a lot of people criticizing, debunking or skeptical of this technology. For example, see 1, and 2.

SR
Scott Reames
May 29, 2013

Thanks John! Late nights...

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions