Subscriber Discussion

What IP Public View Monitors Are You Using?

AM
Andrew Montgomery
Oct 21, 2014
IPVMU Certified

All,

We recently have gotten a number of requests to put up PVMs (public view monitor) and are trying to figure out the most cost effective way of doing it. We only need to display one camera on the PVM but the entire system is IP (Samsung and Arecont cameras), and Exacq does not push IP video over its analog output.

After looking around for a few hours it seems like the options that are cheap aren't as effective (Raspberry Pi, Android Mini-PC) and the rest (decoders like Acti, Axis, or Grandstream, putting in a PC to use Exacq's VideoPush feature) are pricey or do not ensure that they will work with the cameras we have installed. Another idea would be to install a Smart TV with an ethernet port and browse to the camera's page, but I haven't had any experience with how well that would perform on a consistent basis.

What are you all doing for this scenario?

AM
Andrew Montgomery
Nov 18, 2014
IPVMU Certified

I'm not sure why my title got edited to what it did (I meant for it to be a discussion about IP PVMs), but for reference we went with the Viewz 23" PVM and have been pretty happy with the result. It was pricey but it integrated well and looked great. It was discussed in the following article.

New Trend: IP Public View Monitors

JH
John Honovich
Nov 18, 2014
IPVM

Andrew, I changed the title. I think this one is now clearer - "What IP Public View Monitors Are You Using?"

AM
Andrew Montgomery
Nov 18, 2014
IPVMU Certified

John, that's perfect. Thanks for fixing it.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Nov 18, 2014

we also use the ViewZ, with a 2MP internal camera that has excellent WDR. The local image is spectacular for a PVM. I would definitely recommend it.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Nov 19, 2014

We use Acti Decoders which are nice. In the UK Norbain are shipping a pure IP monitor with the decoder element built in. :)

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Nov 19, 2014

I just had a customer today send me a screen shot of a Raspberry Pi running exacq web client using the digital signage image connected to a 17" DVI monitor he had laying around. He was able to display 1162X864 at 1 IPS using the simple web viewer from exacq. With the Digital Signage image he was able to have it store settings so if it lost power it would come right back on as it was before, also it was password protected. It seemed like it would be a lot cheaper than an encoder with a lot more flexibility. Granted the customer was testing this out over his WAN, so his link was slower (thus the 1 IPS) but for a public view monitor, this isn't a bad solution.

JH
John Honovich
Nov 19, 2014
IPVM
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions