Subscriber Discussion

Dropcam Dropped, New Nestcam Announced

Ari Erenthal
Jun 17, 2015
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Details here.

The biggest difference is the backend cloud software that is supposed to sort video by how interesting they are. I'd like to see that.

TC
Trisha (Chris' wife) Dearing
Jun 17, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Another major difference, they dropped the Dropcam name.

This here is a Nest cam. I would assume you can now wave at it to shut off recording...

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jun 17, 2015
IPVM

RIP Dropcam

"Dropcam’s CEO and VP of technology left Nest after the acquisition, and this product is meant to signify that Dropcam is now fully Nest."

JH
John Honovich
Jun 17, 2015
IPVM

Here's the new marketing video, more emphasis on personal use now than security previously had:

JH
John Honovich
Jun 17, 2015
IPVM

Nest claiming more advanced VMD / analytics:

"Nest Cam quickly determines what the room looks and sounds like when there's nothing happening. It will remember this "picture" of the empty room so it can tell what the door looks like when it's closed and there's no one walking around."

"Nest Aware can filter out car headlights or sunlight flashing through your windows to avoid giving you false activity alerts. To do this, Nest Cam takes a nightly three-dimensional snapshot of its view. This snapshot allows Nest Cam to identify things like walls and windows."

U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 17, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Nest Cam quickly determines what the room looks and sounds like when there's nothing happening. It will remember this "picture" of the empty room so it can tell what the door looks like when it's closed and there's no one walking around.

Meanwhile, up in Vancouver...

Bryan, can you run down to the vault and grab the patent portfolio, especially the BRS Labs ones? I think it's time to show the street just what $100,000,000.00 of prime analytic property can do....

I mean it's got to be a daily discussion, right?

(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jun 17, 2015
IPVM

Hey if Google pays $550m for dropcam, why not $100m to Avigilon?

Though I am not sure, Google might fight back.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jun 17, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Outsource it to John B. Adrain.

(1)
Ethan Ace
Jun 19, 2015

As an example of just how much of a fanbase Dropcam has, the Nest Cam has rocketed to #1 in Amazon's Security and Surveillance Equipment category only two days after being announced, a spot previously held unwaveringly by Dropcam Pro.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions