Subscriber Discussion

Single Mode Fiber To Copper For A Single Camera - What Is A Solid Product?

Paul Grefenstette
Nov 28, 2016

We are in the middle of an install and we have one IP camera where it is located in a warehouse close to a data closet where we have multiple pairs of single mode fiber available to transmit back to the MDF where the recording server will reside. It's been a while since we have used any of these single devices - anyone have a preference for this media converter? planet, black box, startech, etc

RS
Robert Shih
Nov 28, 2016
Independent
(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Nov 28, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

I wouldn't use either of those brands for anything fiber based, or on any commercial job. All of the brands the OP suggested are light years beyond the typical budget brand (TPLink, TrendNet, etc).

RS
Robert Shih
Nov 29, 2016
Independent

Ahh, I don't get to play with much of the shiny stuff >.> I would need to sit in on a quick seminar for what brands are the good stuff.

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Nov 29, 2016

Maybe look at Transition Networks. Granted I did work their many years ago but, seeing their mfg. process, it was solid and made in the usa with a lifetime warranty on the converters and sfps.

https://www.transition.com/lines/media-converters/?fwp_protocol=protocol-fast-ethernet&fwp_poe=poe-poe

Other options would be like garretcom, perle, and allied telesis

RS
Robert Shih
Dec 02, 2016
Independent

So from my research Transition seems to have a mix of Netstar, Radiance Electronics, Ruby Tech, and Edgecore Networks...

BL
Brian Leander
Nov 29, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Take a look at http://www.antaira.com/

I don't work for them, but I've used their PoE switches and media converters on several projects without any problems. Very broad product range, so you are bound to find the specs you need.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 03, 2016

I don't post under my real name so nobody would know it's me, but I will admit to being the shill for ComNet who has brought them up in the past. I have no relationship to them whatsoever, but I'm a huge fan of their products and their presales support is fantastic. They have a full line of media converters for just about every application, including fiber>POE to power a camera as well.

http://www.comnet.net/

MC
Marty Calhoun
Dec 03, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Go with Nufiber....half the cost or less if you can wait for the shipment

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Dec 03, 2016

How is the support on Nufiber? If a unit fails how fast do you get a replacement?

MC
Marty Calhoun
Dec 04, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I had apprehension at first because you have to pay to get it shipped. So I went on a hunch, asked for existing customers in US which was promptly provided. I followed up, all was OK. I wired 5k to Nufiber and within a week I had what would have cost me 15-20k in US Dollars. You might not work on this same level but I can assure you they have good product and have given me excellent engineering support for complex issues if needed. I cannot recall any failures, but when ever I buy product we generally buy in bulk so emergencies are covered in house quickly. One of the better deals I have ran across from an alternate supplier is SFP sticks for under $15 bucks as well.

Gert Molkens
Dec 03, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Tried Nufiber as well with good results. Just by an extra as spare and don't worry about replacements that will still be more cost effective. They delivered in less than a week

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions