Shows IPVM Should Attend 2017 - 2018

JH
John Honovich
Jul 03, 2017
IPVM

In the past few weeks, IPVM attended ESX (see show report) and NRF (see show videos). As we continue to have more people, we are interested in going to more shows.

But which ones should we attend?

Here is a list of shows we plan to attend in the next year:

What else should we go to? Why?

And what do you most want us to cover for the shows we go?

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 03, 2017

You should go to this one: SecurityExpo Sydney Austria July 2017

Best reason to go is that you can attend the show for 1 hour and then take a 1 week holiday in Australia.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 03, 2017
IPVM

#1, I was looking at that recently, it's just a really long trip from the US. Maybe in the future, my understanding is that its the biggest in Australia.

(1)
Robert Baxter
Jul 03, 2017

John,

Barnes Buchanan??

I believe it has great content compared to other conferences for the alarm industry.

JH
John Honovich
Jul 03, 2017
IPVM

Barnes Buchanan??

As you know, I went to Barnes Buchanan last year and we covered it, e.g., Security Alarm Industry Trends - Barnes.

It was an amazing conference from the perspective of deal making between operators and financiers. As for content, it was certainly good but it seemed less about the content than the deal making.

We might attend in 2018, not sure yet. 

U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 03, 2017

ASG & Sage - The Great Conversation

http://www.the-sage-group.com/greatconversation

Why? - Someone has to keep an eye on those Seattle Nerds.

(2)
UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Jul 03, 2017

You'll learn the latest industry buzzwords... You too will be able to verbally confuse people and differentiate yourself from the trunk slammers at the ADI show.

(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 03, 2017
IPVM

ASG & Sage - The Great Conversation

Oh boy!

Our post on that conference's setup: Buying the 'Great Conversation'

(1)
Michael Silva
Jul 03, 2017
Silva Consultants

Although I am a Seattle Nerd, I stopped attending "The Great Conversation" several years ago. While I love the ASG and Sage people personally, I find these sessions to be a complete waste of time for me.

Maybe its my lack of intelligence, but I find the information presented to be very esoteric and full of buzzwords that I can't really understand. There are lofty concepts presented, but almost no practical ideas that I can bring back to my clients and implement. There is also a lot of self-congratulatory talk about how ASG is "changing the industry" and that anyone not on board with their "path to value" program is certain to face extinction.

That being said, the sessions are very well attended by many significant players at the major corporations and government agencies, so once again it may be that an old Luddite consultant like me just doesn't get it... 

(2)
(3)
(4)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 04, 2017

Thanks for sharing that eye Mike. I left Seattle years ago, still a nerd and love it.

UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Jul 05, 2017

I too love the ASG folks, true professionals! But the "Great Conversation" is too full of egos and "thought leaders." I stopped going a couple of years as I was tired of seeing Mike Howard speak (although a great guy) and seeing security people act so desperate for their acceptance in the business world. 

Brandon Knutson
Jul 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Local ADI Expo. (You'd be a celebrity!)

JH
John Honovich
Jul 03, 2017
IPVM

Local ADI Expo.

We do go to ADI expos. I recommend them, they are useful places to catch up on local happenings and chat with regional manufacturer sales people.

That said, don't expect any posts on ADI expos. Titles like 'The Raleigh ADI Expo was fantastic" are probably not all that appealing to members...

Brandon Knutson
Jul 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I went to them for years as an end-user and also enjoyed them. Especially useful when the travel budget was tight. 

JH
John Honovich
Jul 03, 2017
IPVM

Especially useful when the travel budget was tight.

One thing we noticed is that a lot of integrator / dealer employees who don't go to the nationals get to go to the ADI expos. Indeed, to that end, ADI expos actually did quite well, right behind ISC West and ASIS for North America integrator attendance.

Dori Ribak
Jul 05, 2017
RBtec Perimeter Security Systems

My experience from the ADI Expos is different i guess, it might be because perimeter security is a niche product.

The cost of the shows is high and the return is limited usually.
If the cost would have been roughly $1000 it would be great way to get local exposure.

Brandon Knutson
Jul 05, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I was taking the position that ADI Expos are good for local attendees with limited travel budgets. Don't know about the value for exhibitors.

JH
John Honovich
Jul 05, 2017
IPVM

My experience from the ADI Expos is different i guess, it might be because perimeter security is a niche product.

ADI shows are like the ADI catalog (here's July's) in real life, i.e., if you fit in the ADI catalog (which is typically mass market products), you fit in the ADI expo. If you have any niche or expensive offerings, not a good fit.

Dori Ribak
Jul 05, 2017
RBtec Perimeter Security Systems

That's true but not a 100% since I'm in the July Canadian version :) 

Canada Flyer

(1)
pa
prasanth aby
Jul 05, 2017

Disclosure - the company i work for organizes the show.

you might want to consider Secutech Taipei in April 2018.

The show might not be as big as Intersec or ISC but has a few advantages compared to other Asian shows:

1. Good presence of non-chinese OEM / ODM manufacturers, if you are looking for alternatives to Chinese companies.

2. The show's focus is shifting from product show case to introducing solutions for system integrators in key verticals (mainly transportation, retail and manufacturing).   

3. Big smart home and home automation section.

4. Taipei is much nicer than Shenzhen, visa free for most countries, direct flights to the USA.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Jul 05, 2017

Better save the trip to Taipei and just upgrade to business class go to CPSE!

5 times the size of Securtech, and you get to go to Hong Kong before you fly home, and stock up at the local Apple store(s) with no tax or duty!

Disclaimer I went to Securtech three years ago, last time I would do so. so few security companies it's not worth it. Unless you need a Wi-Fi light bulb company.

(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 05, 2017
IPVM

Prasanth,

We would consider Secutech. CPSE, right now is more of a priority given the size of the Chinese market but we are open to going to Secutech as well.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions