Subscriber Discussion

Should There Be Standards For Service?

Edward Meltzer
May 05, 2017
Security Cloud & Mobile Partners

I have a few questions I hope will spark some dialogue and discussion on a topic long ignored by the industry.

• If an end-user is required to research and install an integrated security system to mitigate risk or achieve regulatory compliance, don’t they also have an equal duty to proactively maintain such a system? 
  • If manufacturers and integrators sell and install advanced and reliable technology for their end-users, don’t they have an obligation to design and deliver a support strategy as well? 
Michael Silva
May 05, 2017
Silva Consultants

Edward,

I think that the answer to both your questions is "yes". It does no good to install a system if is not maintained. In negligent security cases, one of the first things the plaintiff's expert will look at is whether on not any existing security systems were properly tested and maintained. Finding something like a panic alarm system or emergency call box system that were installed but not working at the time of an incident is like striking gold for the plaintiff.

The challenge in most environments is that the ongoing cost of maintenance is almost never budgeted for by security managers. Usually, they are just able to scrape together enough money to make the initial system purchase, and either consciously or unconsciously don't want to think about how they are going to pay for maintenance. 

Even facility managers, who regularly budget for ongoing maintenance of things like elevators and HVAC equipment, sometimes forget to budget for security system maintenance.

This is quite unlike the mindset in the IT world, where most IT Managers often think more about ongoing maintenance and support costs than they do the initial purchase price and budget accordingly.

I believe that consultants, manufacturers, and system integrators have a duty to educate buyers about ongoing maintenance. Unfortunately, I have seen some integrators who are reluctant to push the client to consider maintenance agreements for fear of losing the initial sale.

(2)
Jon Dillabaugh
May 06, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Beyond service of the general system, I believe audits of the system should be a part of the process as well. During these audits, there are many the Ng's that can be checked:

Credential changes

Verify camera views

Verify retention period

Update all firmware and software

Backup all configs for yearly offline storage

Physical inspections of all devices, including cleaning of lenses, fans, etc

Test all storage devices for pending failures

Check all logs for errors or intrusions

Speak with users to make sure needs are being met

Review sample footage during day and night to verify cameras are functioning properly at all light levels

Verify documentation is up to date and make edits where needed

Upsell, Upsell, Upsell*

* Last line is a lol for those who oppose techs making upsell sales

Edward Meltzer
May 06, 2017
Security Cloud & Mobile Partners

Thank you Michael.  Nicely said and I agree.  It's an unfortunate situation.  I often wonder if some of the decline, or commoditization, of the systems integration business can be directly attributable to the lack of service focus.  More importantly, the lack of customer focus.  I think the end-user is somewhat underserved in the absence of support strategy.  Why do you think the end-user community is willing to make such a critical capital investment without seriously taking into consideration support?

Eddie 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions