Should PTZs Be Mounted Vertically?

Brian Rhodes
Sep 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

A member wrote in asking a simple question:

"I have been told that you cannot mount a PTZ camera in a vertical orientation (wall).

Axis chat session tech said it would ruin the camera and void the warranty. However there was no online documentation available to that effect other than an obscure reference in the installation warranty “Do not install the product on unstable brackets, surfaces or walls.”

I have been told by another video surveillance design build firm that you do not mount PTZ cameras in a vertical position but could not provide details as to why.

Can you explain the issue to me and validate or debunk this detail?"

Essentially, the member is asking why/why not PTZs are mounted like this:

Can you help?

Brian Rhodes
Sep 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I know in some cases the pan-tilt drive components need gravity for traction. In essence, the camera's weight helps the wheels and gears engage. A vertical orientation can result in uneven panning.

Brian Karas
Sep 23, 2016
IPVM

For one thing it seems like it could be confusing to control, since the PTZ would not know it was sideways, the up/down/left/right commands would not map to "reality".

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Essentially, the member is asking why/why not PTZs are mounted like this:

Because you would waste half the pan range just pointing at the sky. And the the tilt-range would be constrained which would be especially limiting say in a corner mount camera.

(1)
Brian Karas
Sep 23, 2016
IPVM

In a general purpose scenario, yes. However there are many times people want a PTZ that can tilt above the horizon/90 degrees, which this mounting would accomplish.

There are some PTZ's that are designed with more tilt range (though not many relatively speaking), which is a much better way to achieve this.

You'd also get a sideways image, and need to rely on VMS image rotation, in this mounting setup with a normal PTZ.

I can see problems with unexpected component wear, with the sensor assembly wanting to tilt/rotate from gravity, and possibly with seals/gaskets that don't expect water intrusion from a sideways mount.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

However there are many times people want a PTZ that can tilt above the horizon/90 degrees, which this mounting would accomplish.

True. (Assuming you mean the horizon is 180 degrees.)

Also, there area few PTZ's that can tilt significantly above the horizon, like this Axis ptz that goes to 220, a full 40 degrees above the horizon.

Finally, for extreme angles, one can invert and cant (tilt) the PTZ housing itself, like in this Bosch ptz which can be tilted 45 degrees when inverted.

I'm assuming that Bosch controls compensate for any screwiness because of the angle.

Now if they just let you cant it to 90 degrees we be back at the OPs question.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions