Subscriber Discussion

Should IPVM Allow Screen Names?

U
Undisclosed #1
May 23, 2017

Fair point. I wish I could post without being UD, but alas...

I wish IPVM would allow actual screen names. I'd like to actually be able to be "known", but without using my real name...

NOTICE: This comment was moved from an existing discussion: Avigilon Stock Plunges - Bad News, Or Buying Opportunity?

(3)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
May 23, 2017
IPVM

I wish IPVM would allow actual screen names. I'd like to actually be able to be "known", but without using my real name...

The problem is screennames is it then devolves into "BigBoy23" responding to "SexpoStud69" who then gets criticized by the "TheFonz57" etc.

One thing I would be open to is adding a feature that allows screen names for known vetted people. For example, #U1 here is a frequent commenter and we can tell he is legit

Related, I would want the screen names to be professional.

Thoughts?

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
May 23, 2017

John, to your point, I understand the need to want to "limit" screen names. What I see on many forums is to have a minimum post limit before someone can be "verified". So, starting at, say, 50 posts and after being approved by an admin, someone can use a screen name other than "undisclosed." And, of course, the S/N's have to be approved for use by IPVM.

Just an idea. I also understand the idea of adding a tag to the end of a post, but I would probably forget that...

(1)
Michael Silva
May 23, 2017
Silva Consultants

I don't really understand the whole need for anonymity in the first place. I can think of a few rare instances when someone might want to hide their name when making a certain type of post (such as criticizing their own employer), but think the whole "undisclosed" poster thing is greatly overused on IPVM.

Be proud of who you are and what you have to say, or don't post it. 

(8)
(4)
JH
John Honovich
May 23, 2017
IPVM

Michael, in fairness, that is easy for you to say when you are a business owner.

Many commenters are employees from mid to large scale integrators or manufacturers and what they say often contradicts or undermines the marketing message of their employers. As such, commenting under their own names with what they say would likely have them reprimanded. Alternatively, if they had to comment under their own names, they would be far less forthright about issues.

(11)
Michael Silva
May 23, 2017
Silva Consultants

I was just as vocal when I was an employee of others. Maybe that's why I couldn't make it in the corporate world:).

(3)
(11)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
May 23, 2017

I agree with John.  Often we may have info to give, but are not authorized to speak for the company, with an official statement.  Or, one may have insight on a competitor's product from industry experience, but can't post it working for another manufacturer. 

Think about newspapers.  Every article says that information came from a source who couldn't be identified because they were not authorized to blah blah blah....

I would like a way to be more personal without being disclosed.  That being said, one could eventually figure out someone's identity by looking at posts.  (Anti brand d, pro brand y, knowledge of brand A, and lives in city B)...  Thus, the undisclosed system works very well, IMHO.

#CameraGuy1

(4)
(1)
MC
Marty Calhoun
May 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified

So question here, is it OK to LIE when on IPVM or LIE to the employer? Which one do you condone?

(5)
U
Undisclosed #2
May 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified

So question here, is it OK to LIE when on IPVM or LIE to the employer?

Which one do you condone?

False dilemma.  Choices are not exclusive.

(7)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #6
May 24, 2017

I do neither.

(2)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
May 23, 2017

Michael, speaking from my perspective as the one who asked this question, I am flat-out not allowed by my company to post anything or make any statements that haven't been vetted by the company. Simply put, whether I said anything contradictory to what my company believes or not, I could lose my job for the simple act of posting. While on one hand it seems a little ridiculous, on another hand it's way too easy in this day and age for a story to get passed around that because my name is John Smith and I work for ABC Integrator, if I say anything, then I'm speaking on behalf of ABC Integrator and that gets passed along. I'm sure you realize that facts and reality are not exactly important in this day in age, so many companies choose to protect themselves, sometimes to ridiculous lengths.

(4)
KL
Keefe Lovgren
May 25, 2017
IPVMU Certified

UD1,

I am flat-out not allowed by my company to post anything or make any statements that haven't been vetted by the company. Simply put, whether I said anything contradictory to what my company believes or not, I could lose my job for the simple act of posting.

yet you still do it :)

Sean Nelson
Aug 21, 2019
Nelly's Security

agree, unfortunately that would eliminate 97.5% of IPVM's sharp tounged geniuses from commenting

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 21, 2019
IPVMU Certified

agree, unfortunately that would eliminate 97.5% of IPVM's sharp tounged geniuses from commenting.

nah, it’s only half a dozen or so “geniuses” that give you trouble, specifically U1 thru U6...

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 21, 2019

Sean,

there have been innumerable posts detailing why some of us use Undisclosed to post on IPVM - but logic and reason don't appear to have any effect on your position.

you see what you want to see.

Sean Nelson
Aug 21, 2019
Nelly's Security

you see what you want to see.

I apologize for my position Mrs. Undisclosed#3

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 21, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I apologize for my position Mrs. Undisclosed#3...

how are you so sure she’s married, huh?

Sean Nelson
Aug 21, 2019
Nelly's Security

Aren't you all related?

(2)
JC
Jesse Crawford
May 23, 2017
OpenEye

Bring Back Surveillance Cow!

(1)
(3)
U
Undisclosed #2
May 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified
U
Undisclosed #3
May 23, 2017

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
May 23, 2017

you could always add a tag at the end of your posts which identifies your UD posts as coming from one particular person..... i.e.:

#FlapJack

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
May 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified

#FlapJack

Though such usage is officially not preferred.

Bring back #1703622!

(2)
Jon Dillabaugh
May 25, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

This could easily be faked and used for evil. 

#FlapJack

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
May 25, 2017
IPVMU Certified

This could easily be faked...

Not if you also send the signature/message encrypted with your RSA private key:

#FlapJackMIICXAIBAAKBgQCqGKukO1De7zhZj6+H0qtjTkVxwTCpvKe4eCZ0FPqri0cb2JZfXJ/DgYSF6vUp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(4)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
May 23, 2017

The only benefit I can see when using screen names is being able to read comments from the same contributor in different threads. I however will need to comment 'undisclosed' as I have no other choice. I also could/would not use a screen name as I at times have disclosed which company I work for in posts. If anything I would like to see a more European approach at times on subjects discussed although I appreciate that many here are based Stateside.

(1)
(2)
RS
Robert Shih
May 23, 2017
Independent

Well, there are clear examples of my...excessive honesty and outspoken nature (a.k.a. my big fat mouth)... about certain things that would more than justify going undisclosed. Mr. Honovich knows clearly of the incidents I am referring to that I took his advice on.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #7
May 24, 2017

Egos and the Internet.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #8
Aug 20, 2019

I once posted something about one of the products from a manufacturer that we have a territory with. Nothing bad just a question. The president of the company contacted someone in my office that just happened to know me. I had the post taken down because it would have caused major issues if the owner of the company would have been contacted. The president of the company that manufactures the product didn't know who I was but was upset about the post. He called someone in my office that he had met previously and asked a few questions. The office worker was a friend of mine and let me know what was happening. Luckily the interest died when the post disappeared.

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 20, 2019
IPVMU Certified

did you post disclosed or undisclosed? disclaimer or no disclaimer?

U
Undisclosed #7
Aug 20, 2019

You don't like being an Undiscloser?

CC
Chris Chambers
Aug 20, 2019

This is the sort of thing I would make criminal. Trying to silence valid commentary about products should never be allowed, regardless of the source. If the commentary is false and/or completely inaccurate, then the manufacturer or service provider has a civil remedy to go with their ability to immediately refute the commentary online.

I see this as very similar to Congress stepping in to stop companies from trying to prevent valid negative reviews:

Yes, You Can Post That Negative Online Review, Says Congress

(2)
Daniel S-T
Aug 21, 2019

Had a similar incident, well sort of. Nothing bad came from it, but it was just weird. I posted something about ADI that I was dealing with at the time, nothing bad, a question about a new service they were trying to push on us and all my managers were super giddy about it, I had reservations.

After the post, the guy from ADI reached out to me again, clarified somethings, got defensive on some others. Nothing bad happened in the end, but I did sort of realize after that there are somethings I need to be careful about posting. Even when undisclosed, if I put too much information it wouldn't be hard to figure out who I am, to some one who knows me. Small market here in Manitoba. Everyone more or less knows everyone, or knows of someone via someone else.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #8
Aug 20, 2019

I posted with my name. I saw nothing wrong with it.

Until they actually called my place of business. Thing is I have seen it before. Someone in upper management gets upset and goes on a witchhunt. Normally I post with my name. But there are a few times I'd rather not.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 20, 2019

I've reserved FlapJack as a screen name.... I can let you have it cheap.

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 20, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I've reserved FlapJack as a screen name.... I can let you have it cheap.

How much?

I’ve been looking to move to a one-word handle for some time.

Anthony Jones
Aug 20, 2019

The keyboard warriors would come out of the woodwork if screen names were used on here. Too many people somehow develop a sense of bravado when they can hide behind their keyboard. I admit I sometimes hid my name but that's usually when I know someone will get their panties in a bunch from a post.

U
Undisclosed #7
Aug 21, 2019

Reserving... IMVP!

(1)
Lynn Harold
Aug 21, 2019

Screen names reminds me of the days when I ran a BBS. Everyone was anonymous.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 21, 2019

BBS screen names generally provided real anonymity (if not always maybe) from everyone including mods.

Screen Names would be the same as Undisclosed here - meaning they are not anonymous to IPVM staff.

ftr, I am not voting one way or the other on Screen Names.

I generally try and post using similar phrasing and sentence structure so IPVM OGs will at least surmise that I wrote whatever it was I wrote - without putting my job in any potential jeopardy.

Randal Youngberg
Aug 21, 2019
Intellectric Technologies

I think even allowing 'Undisclosed' comments is testing the limits. Owning our opinions requires having defensible positions. We might not like something, but having to take responsibility for the impact of our statements prevents a lot of nonsense. IPVM is not Facebook... In addition, this is not really a 'public' forum in that each of us has paid to be part of this information sharing group.

I strongly agree with @Chris Chambers, honest dialogue needs to be protected. Corporations that try to suppress honest dialogue should be exposed for their duplicity. No one is perfect, so constructive criticism, especially within a professional forum, is like free R&D. It should be accepted with gratitude and rewarded. If we promote open, honest dialogue without economic or political agendas, are we not all better off? Is that not why we signed up for this?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 21, 2019

i couldn't agree with your sentiment more.

but, alas, I live in the real world and must recognize any potential repercussions to my being a very opinionated person.

My opinions may not align with the position of the company I work for... can you not recognize my potential peril?

sure, I'd love to post whatever I wanted to under my own name.

but. I. can't.

this does not diminish my words...

(1)
Randal Youngberg
Aug 21, 2019
Intellectric Technologies

Understood, no personal criticism implied.

I hope that one day you will be able to work for someone who respects your honesty and integrity and appreciates your desire to improve, not just yourself, but the whole profession.

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 21, 2019

ty - and I do appreciate your passion on the subject (which I share). I used to post some wild sh!t back in the day using my own name (or Screen Name) when I could.... I have an opinion about lots of things and I love to debate. ;)

keep in mind that John and Team moderate comments on this site better than any other site I've seen or been a part of. they offer Undisclosed posting as a means for people to be as honest as possible without the posters words being potentially used against them by anyone higher up in their orgs.

this is a real potential threat.

But Undisclosed is not anonymous - and John will call out anyone trying to use Undisclosed to comment about their own company and/or competitors... if they surmise that someone is using Undisclosed inappropriately. It has happened many, many times.

Debate is about the words people use - not about who they individually are.

"Owning our opinions requires having defensible positions."

I agree 110%. Posting Undisclosed does not relieve me of this burden.

(1)
Greg Thornbury
Aug 21, 2019
Facility Solutions Group, Inc. • IPVMU Certified

Well, most of the time on here I use my name. But I support the UD postings as well, and I've used it myself a few times to add commentary on a discussion that I have knowledge of, but don't want it generally known where it came from. I've never had an issue sleeping at night.

I do believe that the use of the UD posts allows for a greater flow of information in general and that John and the others do a great job of policing it and calling people out when they need it.

(1)
(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #9
Aug 21, 2019

My case is I am under strict NDA for my place of employment and as a FTE Consultant/Specifier for a Fortune 50 Company in a very highly regulated industry prohibited from speaking about what I do as it relates to my job. What I don't need everyone on this forum to think what I may be chatting about is on behalf of my employer or how they might or might not do their security as an example. It's strictly my opinion when I blog/post but not everyone can grasp that so hence the need to be ANON.

I pay my own personal subscription here and have since John stopped the freebies, I want no association with my employer on this forum so therefore I dont blast my name out there so I can be trolled from something LinkedIn trying to get my attention.

Many of you likely don't realize you may be under a NDA that prohibits you from talking w/o employer authorization, you are likely the same guys talking shop in a bar or on a plane saying maybe a little too much next to who you think are strangers.

It's only takes ONE time to get burned, this is such a small industry and it could have a very negative impact on your career and professional reputation.

(3)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 21, 2019
IPVMU Certified

...you are likely the same guys talking shop in a bar or on a plane saying maybe a little too much next to who you think are strangers.

“then after Pelco was sold to Schneider in a complex private equity transaction, I thought for sure things were looking up, but...”

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions