Should Integrators Run ASIS Chapters?

Ethan Ace
Sep 02, 2016

In a recent discussion with a friend, they told me the local ASIS chapter leadership is now all integrators, three of four from the same company. Previously, it was chaired by guard companies, security managers, investigators, and other vocations in the industry. 

I've heard anecdotes about other chapters moving the same way. What do you think about this shift? Have you seen it in your local?

Ethan Ace
Sep 02, 2016

The main arguments I've heard against this is that the meetings become more sales oriented, and less of a "safe space" for end user security managers and staff to meet and discuss topics.

The main positive I see here is that most ASIS chapter meetings I've been to have been sorely lacking in real technical knowledge, so this could help spread more of that.

I personally liked the non-systems topics at meetings when I was a member. We had presentations on computer forensics, K9 bomb detection, risk management (from high level end users), with hardly any discussion of integration topics. It was refreshing as an integrator to learn about other disciplines in security. I'm told that this has changed and now there are manufacturer presentations, even.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 02, 2016
IPVM

From a my business development standpoint, seems like a genius move. Give yourself an opportunity to talk to the biggest end users in your area each month. If an end user does not come to the local ASIS meetings, you have an excuse to reach out to them in a non-threatening way.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Give yourself an opportunity to talk to the biggest end users in your area each month.

Yes, it's cheaper to have the whales come to you.

U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 02, 2016

Does ASIS have a choice? It seems that there membership is "flagging" and long time members are questioning the value.

This practice is consistent with the annual conference, preferring to cater to manufacturers and service providers to create business value for the organization.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Sep 02, 2016

ASIS isn't about selling, its about networking with like-minded professionals in the field of security. Installers are not, imho, in the field of security. As a local ASIS member, former chair and current AVRP as well as an integrator (now but not in a former life), I never discuss my business unless I am approached by a fellow member. I am there to mentor, learn and network as a security professional.

GC
Greg Cortina
Sep 02, 2016

I think it should be run by end users with the support of integrators and manufacturers.

If it's all integrators it might as well be an alarm industry association.

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions