Subscriber Discussion

Should I Charge Customers For Remote Camera Access?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 16, 2017

I am connecting all my new hik-oem nvrs through DynDns (not be reliant on the manufacturer), I pay about $450 yearly total for the service.

should I pass this charge on to the customer ?  and if so how much?

(1)
DW
David Westberry
Mar 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We have used No-IP for DDNS for our clients for a long time. Years ago we used TZO and charged a monthly fee plus an activation fee for this. Back then we did provide a NAT box or Raspberry Pi and backup battery placed on site to handle the update client. Now with the client built into the recorder we do not charge for DDNS.

If it was my company I would likely charge a small upfront fee to cover your initial costs.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 16, 2017
IPVM

#1, how does the $450 yearly total cost from DynDNS work out? I am not familiar with their pricing but the website seems to indicate $40 per year for DynDNS Pro with 30 custom hostnames.

UI
Mar 16, 2017
don't quote me on any of this but I believe the service is called "managed DNS express"for 500 records . cost $35 a month then there's a yearly $10 registration fee and and other fees
JH
John Honovich
Mar 16, 2017
IPVM

I called them up because the website plan display was confusing me.

They say they have 2 options:

She struggled to explain the differences beyond that the more expensive one had phone support, 'faster' access and your own domain names.

The website does recommend the $40 per year one for video surveillance applications and if you need more than 30 hostnames, you just pay another $40 for 30 hostnames.

I have never used DynDNS so I don't know how their plans work. Anyone with input, please share.

Also, she gave me a 25% off coupon - BMMFY17, so if anyone wants it, feel free.

To your original question, my gut feel is that there should be a less expensive option that costs something but is cheap enough not to have to worry about charging a customer.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Mar 16, 2017

We use the $40/year for 30 hostname option and charge our customers to use the service but the cost is rolled into other monthly service charges. 

(1)
(1)
Brian Hampton
Mar 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I use the Managed DNS Express option. I own a domain name that I use solely for my customer's NVR's. I setup each customer with their own hostname. So Customer1.XYZDNS.com. Each customer also has their own username/password so that they can only update their own hostname in case of any security breach issues. I do not give the customer this info as they would typically have no use for it so I keep all that info on my end. 

I have thought about how to use this as an option for RMR but for now I am just including it in the bundled install price.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Mar 17, 2017

We have been charging $15 per month (more for larger systems) for all new systems, starting about a year ago. It includes 1 free visit each year to clean and check system out, verify proper recording and such. As well as quarterly checkups on recording from our office to make sure everything looks normal. 

The one thing not included in this, network reconfiguring. But we use IP/Domain registering. 

(3)
Alex Gonzalez
Mar 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We charge $35 a year for the DDNS service to our non maintanace client, for those that are under monthly maintance we included at no aditional charge as one of the perks for been on our maintenance plan. 

(3)
UI
Mar 20, 2017

thanks for all the feedback!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions