Should Colleges Monitor Fraternity Houses With Surveillance Cameras?

JH
John Honovich
Oct 08, 2016
IPVM

There has been a bit of an uproar over a US college installing surveillance cameras inside of fraternity houses.

On the one hand, fraternity houses are often a source of campus problems - underage drinking, fights, sexual misconduct, etc.

On the other hand, fraternity houses are residences and the concern about violating privacy within one's 'home' is there.

Vote:

Adam Messina
Oct 08, 2016
Qumulex

Absolute invasion of privacy.

(1)
Josh Hendricks
Oct 10, 2016
Milestone Systems

This shouldn't even be a question. This is a massive invasion of privacy.

If the cameras were only outdoors, it would still be an invasion of privacy (tracking comings and goings of students). But you don't have much expectation of privacy outdoors so I can see the value of the vision outweighing right to privacy in that case.

JH
John Honovich
Oct 10, 2016
IPVM

Are cameras in regular student housing / dormitories common? I don't know but it would seem reasonable just like apartments and condos frequently have cameras, yes/no?

U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I think the objection is over some of the more intrusive ones like:

However, in at least one fraternity, there are five cameras installed at various locations throughout the interior of the house, including three in a common area—a place where the fraternity brothers spend their leisure time and host guests, with one camera capturing a live feed of the fraternity’s bar area.

That's just not going to work. Many students are under 21, so bar traffic will likely suffer if monitored.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions