Should CCTV Warning Signs Troll People?

Brian Rhodes
Nov 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I am not a fan of cheeky 'CCTV In Use' signs like this one near me:

You probably have seen ones like these too:

or:

The major issue I have with signs like these is they often are no more than paper tigers.  It seems like these types of signs typically accompany poorly maintained, obviously broken, or cheap surveillance cameras.  Like the budget for custom signage was almost equal to the camera budget.

Secondly, I feel like these signs may provoke bad behavior rather than discourage it.  Show me someone bent on civil misconduct, and I'll show you someone who is out to prove CCTV can't stop them anyway.

Am I wrong?  Are these signs more impactful than generic 'Video Surveillance In Use' signage?

(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 17, 2017

One of the townies down by our vacation spot has several pieces of plywood with orange paint in his yard to intimidate people with the supposedly existing security cameras. I imagine it is one of those Harbor Freight systems, which really makes me want to test it's limits...

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

This one comes with the possible liability of creating a ‘false sense of security’ by implying contemporaneous live monitoring, assuming there is only recording...

Brian Karas
Nov 17, 2017
IPVM

Maybe, but the camera icon implies you are being watched by outdated products, so don't let your guard down too much.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 17, 2017

I got you on CIF at 2fps, BEWARE!

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

...but the camera icon implies you are being watched by outdated products.

Actually, vintage dummy cameras outperform newer models due to significant patina acquisition and the inevitable demise of the red blinking led ;)

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Strange device/mount here, no?

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions