Shoplifter Dies After Scuffle With Store Employees - Security Lesson

JH
John Honovich
Apr 16, 2018
IPVM

These type of incidents happen every so often, e.g., Shoplifter seeking food dies after scuffle with Brooklyn grocery store workers.

In this case, the shoplifter was known to the store employees. And such potential for confrontation may grow if surveillance providers achieve their aim of using facial recognition and other AI technologies to ID shoplifters or shoplifting.

Retail expert King Rogers, from MTG, explained to us:

Every state has statutes which define and govern retail theft (shoplifting) in their respective state and the definitions and thresholds differ from state to state. Every retail employee should be trained in what they should do to handle suspected thieves in their store and part of the training usually covers the applicable state statutes. The general rule of thumb is that force should only be applied equal to the force administered by the suspect but, in actuality, force should always be avoided.

In this particular case, it appears that the deceased was a regular thief in that store (according to the quote attributed to his ‘friend’). It might be that the store personnel were fed up with this man’s stealing habits and probably, out of frustration, tried to teach him a lesson. Not a good idea. Let law enforcement handle it. Obtain good video surveillance evidence for use by law enforcement and the criminal justice system and take the steps to provide a chain of custody for that evidence.

Does anyone have thoughts on such situations?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Apr 16, 2018

Before I got on the integration side I was in asset protection for one of the larger retailers, and I can definitely agree that quite a few times you would have your regular "annoyances" that got under people's skin. Once it gets into any kind of physical confrontation our handbook told us to disengage, but as anyone knows that is much easier said than done once it gets physical- you always feel like it's about to end, and you don't notice anything else until it's too late

I think a lot of these incidents would be better avoided if there was more belief that law enforcement would be able to act on the good video (we had a very high quality surveillance system), but too often the LE community is so overloaded case wise that if they had to track that individual into the community it became a very low priority compared to the cases where they could pick them up already in handcuffs. That definitely lead to quite a few apprehensions that got physical, because they didn't want to risk them leaving the store and becoming just another paper file on an overcrowded desk at the precinct. 

(3)
Jon Dillabaugh
Apr 16, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

Is a cake box really worth taking someone's life? Seriously! This is so grotesque. I hope that the prosecutors office uses all of the video evidence to prosecute the LP individuals involved.

(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 16, 2018
IPVM
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions