Subscriber Discussion

Shipping Container Inspection

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 22, 2016

We spoke to a client recently that asked about the possibility of inspecting the exterior of incoming shipping containers using cameras, instead of a manual inspection by one or more employees.  This is related to "C-TPAT"(Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism).  They are currently needing to use a forklift and raise someone up to inspect the top of the container which is obviously labor intensive as it requires two people.  They were thinking that maybe they could have an arrangement of cameras that are able to "see everything" as the truck drives through.  Seems possible, but definitely new to us.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Nov 22, 2016

Quite common for companies shipping large amounts of product (e.g. cars) internationally.

U
Undisclosed #3
Nov 22, 2016

quite common how? by whom? with what?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 23, 2016

I believe that this company does not have a large volume of containers arriving on a daily basis. They are a manufacture. A few containers per day arriving by truck. It would seem that an array of cameras, mounted on poles or something, to view the top, sides, & underside might work. I was hoping that maybe someone had some experience with this.

U
Undisclosed #4
Nov 23, 2016

Fisheye camera looking down will give your customer lots of info

(1)
Manfred Fichtl
Jun 15, 2017

Hi there,

there are a couple of companies who supply container inspection cameras and IR devises. one of them is called LASE who are based in Germany.

Mark Jones
Jun 15, 2017

It should be fairly easy to devise what you are looking for.  You just need a competent integrator.  We assembled a similar system for a customer who wanted to examine and record all of the building materials shipped out to construction sites.  They used different color bands to band the building materials.  Define an area for the drivers and some open voice for communication to the inspector.  Record it for posterity.  

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Jun 15, 2017

I don't work for them and personally I don't like the owner, but their website and possibly product will at least educate you if not provide the solution for container inspection. 

http://www.duostechnologies.com

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Jun 16, 2017

We have provided a Genetec system to do a similar job - 

An AutoVu (ANPR) camera records the registration of the truck in its database which also links to the video from overhead cameras to record video of the vehicle and its contents.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions