Subscriber Discussion

Sheetrockers Keep Burying My Wires, What Do I Do?

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 03, 2017

How do y’all keep the sheet rock guys from burying your cables when you prewire? I’ve tried everything short of physically being there and following them around, and I would try that too but I’ve got a business to run. Any ideas?

Mark Jones
Apr 03, 2017

We have the same issues, and door frame companies are becoming our enemy.   On one current install, they called us at 8:30 on a Saturday morning to tell us they were on the job and hanging frames if we wanted to know.  What a mess.

Mark Jones
Apr 03, 2017

We dig our wires out of the wall and leave the holes for them to fix.  I wish it were different, but it is not.  They can exercise common sense or pay to fix the problem they caused.  We don't do it maliciously, but we will do it.  The GC runs the job site and you can't man it every day.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Apr 03, 2017

I use a low voltage bracket (orange in color) available from any electrical supply or Home Depot / Lowes. 

Or, if I can't nail a low voltage bracket to a stud, I coil a bit of wire in the wall, note it's location having measured from a few landmarks, let the drywall  folks cover it up and cut into the drywall when I'm ready to install. 

If you aren't sure if your measurements are accurate, or didn't measure, I've found wired by using a tone generator and tone probe to find the wire.

(1)
UI
Apr 03, 2017

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
May 02, 2017

Use these to get the sheet rockers to cut around the wall jack location. Also run a stick of 1/2" EMT from just above the "mud ring" on the stud up the wall and bend it so that it sticks out of the wall above the hung ceiling if there is any. That way you can rough in the conduit and rings and then come back once the sheet rock is installed to pull in the cables.

UI
Apr 03, 2017

(1)
LB
Luke Barnhart
May 02, 2017
Securewire Technologies

Came across this post rather late.. We take pictures of our wire locations and save them to our shared google drive. We find that the drywall guys damage our wires if they are tasked with cutting around them. 

Kyle Folger
May 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I have used various methods but I don't do intrusion so my experience is related to audio and video. I will use low voltage or conduit boxes or prewire brackets when I can and bury the cable behind to prevent getting cut by accident. I try to communicate what I need and where things are going to the GC and if I can, those hanging the drywall.

I have also used gaffers tape with a hole in it for placement and have used bright stickers with a contact number on it. Recently, I used fire rated plywood cut in thin strips with a hole where the wire was to come out. Both times and two different companies, this worked very well. I also had the chance to communicate what was needed. I always take pictures of everything just in case and leave a coil above or behind just in case the cable gets cut, I don't need to pull another cable. An example is shown below. The larger board was for a recessed camera.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #4
May 02, 2017

Try using bilingual caution stickers.

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions