Subscriber Discussion

SFP And Media Converter Compatibility?

U
Undisclosed
Jul 15, 2015

How does one determine the compatibilities of sfp sfp+ xfp and media converters? We have a client who has Planet Taiwan backbone switch with fiber sfp. And we are using PoE of non-Planet.

Our situation is we can only think of connecting fiber sfp to media converter. Can fiber sfp be connected to fiber media converter? And, if so how to determine brands.

U
Undisclosed
Jul 15, 2015

I'm not asking planet specific question.

Brian Rhodes
Jul 15, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Can fiber sfp be connected to fiber media converter?

I'm not sure I understand the question, but if you are asking if you can connect a fiber connected SFP card to a fiber media converter, the answer is yes, provided the fiber types and connector types match at both ends.

(2)
Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 16, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

If I am reading this right, you have a fiber only core switch and copper only PoE switches at the edge? You can either use the media converters as you have said, OR you might find that buying a SFP enabled replacement switch might be a better choice. Are there any other features missing or issues with the existing edge switches? Enough ports? Enough PoE budget? If there are any other issues, I would suggest new edge switches over media converters. Less hardware to maintain and less pets to fail.

(1)
Rv
Rogier van der Heide
Jul 16, 2015

Ah, the lovely horror that is SFP's.

SFP are a special thing in the IT world. I found that out the hard way. SFP's can have a special code in them which restricts their usage. For example, take Cisco. Cisco switches won't work with SFP's of other brands, and only allows SFP's of Cisco themselves. Which costs quite a bit more then other SFP's. It also won't work with an other brand switch/SFP on the other end. There are certain brands who don't use this special code inside the SFP and leave them open, accepting any SFP you put into them. Sadly, there's no way of knowing this up front. And the only way of finding out is testing it. Or, just use the same brand on both ends to make sure it does work.

(4)
U
Undisclosed
Jul 16, 2015

"And the only way of finding out is testing it."

Kinda like Onvif, eh? Thank you for the Information.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 16, 2015
IPVMU Certified

For example, take Cisco. Cisco switches won't work with SFP's of other brands, and only allows SFP's of Cisco themselves.

I believe, as far as the Cisco modules are concerned at least, that under mounting pressure, Cisco added two commands to their IOS CLI, which when run in succession allow 3rd Party SFP's to work with genuine Cisco.

service unsupported-transceiver

no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

Have you heard of this work around?

(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed
Jul 16, 2015

Thank you. I didn't know the world has become universally acceptable. I was oblivious to # service unsupported-transceiver AND # no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid. Stangely, my google search didn't return this result until you told me.

Thank You.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 16, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Strangely, my google search didn't return this result...

By any chance did your search go thru any Cisco gear enroute to google? ;)

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions