Subscriber Discussion

Setup Tool For Ip/Poe Cameras.

MG
Marty Graves
Jan 13, 2017

Looking for feedback on what tool everyone is using to setup and IP/PoE camera in the field.

Thanks in advance for opinions.

Brian Rhodes
Jan 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hello Marty!  We have a report on a commonly cited tool: Universal Camera Tester Tested (IPC-8600)

Kyle Folger
Jan 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I have this tester and it works really well. It is better than setting up a laptop with a POE injector. Plus, it does all the analog and hd analog variants. 

RS
Ross Samek
Jan 13, 2017

We have a few Everfocus ESK1000  units in the field and so far the guys love them. Very economical also.

(1)
Kyle Folger
Jan 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Thanks for bringing this tester up. I will have to check it out and see how it can work for me.

MC
Marty Calhoun
Jan 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Triplett PRO 8071, its a must have for all your technicians

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jan 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

How are your techs using the tool?

I see the need for an analog/HD tester as we use that at the camera to verify proper operation when troubleshooting or determining if a camera down is due to power or video.

But for IP we have never seen the need. If a camera doesnt come up, we scan for it against its programmed IP and default IP. If that fails we try a couple other things, then pull the camera and test it directly off an injector.

For aiming cameras, these would never be useful for us because almost on all of our installs, we have to remove the camera to get to the wiring.

MC
Marty Calhoun
Jan 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The tool needs no network, spits out POE on its own, you can check TVI, IP, Analog all on one tester + test network connections to switches. Its better than using a Laptop once your Techs get used to using it. Mine swear by it and we install 100's of cameras every month.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Jan 15, 2017

Marty, what IP cameras do you plan on installing?  Some now have WIFI dongles you can attach to the cameras and then you can access all the settings from your cell, tablet or laptop. We use POE battery packs like the ones below if we don't have the POE switches fired up before the cameras are installed.

MG
Marty Graves
Feb 01, 2017

Follow Up on the  Woshida IPC-8600 Camera Tester. We are installing a large number of Panasonic IP cameras and we are having difficulty with the tester discovering the camera every time. Very inconsistent. Any feed back would be appreciated.  

MG
Marty Graves
Feb 01, 2017

Woshida IPC-8600 Camera Tester inconsistent in discovering Panasonic IP cameras.

SR
Samuel Rodgers
Feb 01, 2017

POE battery pack with wireless, veracity and axis both have one that are pretty much the same thing. 

Makes things easy since you just plug in and it comes up on the phone app to do the aim/focus. 

Have only used the axis one with axis cameras since that's primarily what we deal with, I don't think their app would work with other brands. Not sure about the veracity model but sounds like it would just give you a list of IPs connected to it and you can get to the camera's webpage through your device. 

http://www.veracityglobal.com/products/ip-camera-installation-tools/pointsource-wireless.aspx

https://www.axis.com/global/en/products/installation-tools/axis-t8415-wireless-installation-tool

Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 02, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Do you happen to know the range of the wireless on the Veracity unit? The spec sheet merely mentions that it is 802.11ac dual band, but no mention of the antenna gain or output wattage.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions