Subscriber Discussion

Server Or Cloud Based Single Door Controllers?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 02, 2017

I'm looking to bring on a new access control line, I really like the idea of the Infinias door controller and web-based system and have been looking at them for some time, but I've been skeptical of them. I am wondering if anyone knows of a solution that offers POE powered single door controllers with a web-based access control platform. If the system is server based that's fine, I just want the interface to be clean and easy to use.  

MM
Michael Miller
Jun 02, 2017

How expandable does it have to be?  We tried the Axis A1001 unit and it has been a headache as the unit is just not stable enough.  

(2)
UI
Jun 02, 2017

I looked at it too and it seemed limited, might change in the future. Our average door count is 20 doors and typically we're seeing around 500 people with credentials. We go bigger and smaller from time to time so I need something we can use in our smaller 2-5 door systems and something that could go to 100 doors between multiple sites if needed. 

MM
Michael Miller
Jun 02, 2017

For smaller sites, I don't like to manage a computer onsite so we try to go the embedded route.   Most of the time we use Avigilon's ACM Embedded system for small single site projects and it has worked very well.  We tried the Axis unit for a one door project to save some money but it costs us a lot more as we have had to deal with issues.  Lesson learned.   I am interested to see what you find. 

(3)
U
Undisclosed
Jun 02, 2017

just because it's embedded doesn't mean it's not a computer and it doesn't need to be managed.  that's a dangerous logic path you're on there.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Jun 02, 2017

I agree with you but they have less moving parts to deal with plus they are smaller and easier to find a location to install them in small businesses.   I have seen way too many computers installed to locations they should not be with 2 inches of dust on them just waiting to fail. 

Brian Rhodes
Jun 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Which aspect of the A1001 has not been stable?

MM
Michael Miller
Jun 02, 2017

The last issue we had the cleaning crew powered down the customer's whole network and when the controller came back up it would not unlock the door even though the cards were valid.  We had to reprogram the controller to get it to work again. 

(4)
Scott Bradford
Jun 05, 2017
IPVMU Certified

What issues were you having with the A1001 and when did you try it?  I'm about to do some testing on it myself but heard of similar problems

MM
Michael Miller
Jun 05, 2017

Scott this was in the last month.  We had 2 big issues that support said were known issues.  1) The unit lost power and the DB was corrupted we had to export user info, default A1001 and reprogram doors/ upload users.   2) We were using DTMF commands from an Axis intercom to open the door.  The DTMF settings stopped working and we would have to reboot the system to get it working.   We fixed this by running 2 conductors between the axis door station and A1001 and removed the HTTP event.  Now the output on the intercom triggers the input on the input on the A1001 and everything has been working. 

I really like these units so I am just hoping this is some firmware issues they need to work out. 

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jun 03, 2017

We have started using Feenics with great success. We use the EP1501 controller.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jun 05, 2017

www.prodatakey.com

i am a rep for PDK.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jun 05, 2017

For a little clarity, PDK's SmartAccess platform is their Server-Based platform.  The PDKio platform is the Cloud-Based platform.  

UI
Jun 07, 2017

I have an appointment with PDK later in the week, I have looked at them a few times. My big concern is with the ridiculous advertisement they run. I am skeptical of any company that leaves out half the installation in an ad like this. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Jun 05, 2017

Check out ProdataKey.

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Jun 05, 2017
IPVMU Certified

With the mention of ProDataKey, our profile might be helpful: Wireless Access Control Panels

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Jun 05, 2017

Here is my rant because I am in the same boat as UND #1. We have had good luck with Isonas, their support is decent, but their new cloud based platform hasn't been a big hit for our customers since the industry we support is very anti cloud, and the yearly costs are a deal breaker for small systems which is about 90% of our installations. So we have been looking at utilizing Open Options instead of the Isonas software, maybe give us an edge up on a takeover, but that is becoming cost prohibitive.

As a stopgap until we find that near perfect solution of function, native IP, and cost we have been using the Honeywell NetAxs line for a majority of our small systems. My gripe about the Honeywell is that the built in web server is very slow and the reports are garbage and anything outside of basic controls require winpak software. I really liked the isonas easyweb but they discontinued that software lineup, and their Pure Access on premise solution is MSRP $4,000 USD plus another $480.00 for yearly updates.... kind of hard to stomach for a small system just on the software side.

I for one am getting a little tired of every company charging a small fortune every year just to open a door, or record an Image. I just want a good system, good price point, IP based that doesn't suck... Come on DSX, give us an IP based solution! 

SD
Shannon Davis
Jun 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

TruPortal is not a single door system but rather it is web based two door starter kit and also has single door POE modules as well. Fairly cost effective and works well. It also has one the the best and cleanest web and app interfaces on the market, at least of the ones I have seen or used. TruPortal is from the Interlogix brand under UTC. I wish and hope the Lenel OnGuard platform will follow suite with a similar easy to use mobile app and web interface as does TruPortal. It is our go to product for small systems who really just need an electronic key system and only need to run basic reports. HID had a fairly decent all in one door controller but not the easiest to get anymore if you even can.

(1)
(1)
Brian Rhodes
Jun 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

HID had a fairly decent all in one door controller but not the easiest to get anymore if you even can.

Do you mean the Edge EVO? If so, we have got a test queued up to release this week.

(1)
SD
Shannon Davis
Jun 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Yes i am. I assumed it was still available but hard to find at some suppliers I have found. I have used this many times and for what it is works fairly well for a single door. I also like the fact that you can put the brains in a secure location if need be and then put a typical reader outside. Price wise not bad either.

U
Undisclosed #8
Jun 07, 2017

Listen to Shannon here. TruPortal is the best "small" system on the market. Incredibly easy for the customer to use, incredibly easy to set up, inexpensive, and stable as can be. 

(1)
UI
Jun 07, 2017

I am looking for something I can run cat5 to the door and have a single door controller there. I want to reduce installation and equipment at the head end and run the software on the server we install for the video surveillance. Something that has a clean, easy to use browser UI. It looks like Tru Portal sort of fits this but might now. The thing I like about Infinias is they have a POE powered door controller I can put in a box at the door. I can use the same POE switch we install for our cameras and just create a separate vlan for them. 

SD
Shannon Davis
Jun 07, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Look at the HID EVO. You can run a CAT5 to the reader and run on POE or to a module if you need more security and then run your typical reader cable to the door, especially if it is an exterior door or high security door. Price point is good as well.

U
Undisclosed #6
Jun 06, 2017

Has anyone tried Viscount or BluBox for this type of an application?

I am also interested in small site access control with Web based management. I really do not want a managed service like Brivo. Interesting to see that Axis is popular. I too have been using A1001 controllers but I do find they are not very convenient to make changes to as they usually require a complete reprogramming. The positive side is the software is free and does handle most basic needs. 

UI
Jun 07, 2017
I have looked at both but not in-depth, do you know much about them?
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
Jun 07, 2017

Why not DMP? XTL/XR+734.

SD
Shannon Davis
Jun 07, 2017
IPVMU Certified

If you are a DMP dealer then I am sure that is a great option but if you are not a DMP dealer then this would not be a great option. DMP is a great product but in order to sell DMP you have to sell A LOT OF DMP.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Jun 07, 2017

Tell me about it.  We are working on a 300-panel project and DMP wasn't interested.  

(1)
UI
Jun 07, 2017

We are a DMP dealer and sell A LOT of DMP access control. I am looking for another option. DMP is an incredible product and is the best fire/burg/access/automation systems available in the US. However, they're not the best choice in every situation. I have walked away from a couple of deals because I felt that what my competitor was offering was better for the client than what I was offering. This is why I want to bring on a line that is just access control. 

(1)
SD
Shannon Davis
Jun 07, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Check out the TruPortal line for access control. Easy to install and extremely easy for the customer to use. We sell Lenel for larger projects but if all the customer wants is an electronic key system then TruPortal works very well. Good thing is you can buy it off the shelf and the bad thing is you can buy it off the shelf. 

SD
Shannon Davis
Jun 07, 2017
IPVMU Certified

DMP is interested in long term volume sales from its dealers which is great for the dealers as this keeps your competitors list short if you do a lot of bid work.

MM
Michael Miller
Jun 07, 2017

ICT also has a nice embedded fully integrated access/intrusion panel at a great price point.  It scales up to 128 doors and 512 intrusion inputs at one site. 

UI
Jun 07, 2017

ICT is sweet, last time I looked at them was a few years ago when they first came to the US but they had some crazy dealer requirements where someone from ICT had to come out and inspect each project. Is that still the case?

MM
Michael Miller
Jun 07, 2017

That is for the GX line which is there big boy unlimited door, input, and user system.  The WX line does not have that training requirement.   I really like their stuff.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions