Subscriber Discussion

IP Camera With SFTP Support?

JE
Jean-Philippe Encausse
Aug 18, 2015

Hi,

Many IP Camera have FTP feature to push footage to an FTP. But it's not secure.

• Is there PIR Cube camera with sFTP?
  • I didn't try, but I assume FTP camera do not know sFTP protocol

On the other side,

• People send data to a local network box then upload footage to the cloud. BUT it requires a computer to do it.
  • If I understand, ONVIF, is a secure pull (not push) ? So cloud connect to the camera to pull an rtsp stream (using bandwidth and firewall breach).

Is there other way to simply push footage from the camera to my own server securely?

Why there is no sFTP, crypto needs CPU too?

Thanks !

TC
Trisha (Chris' wife) Dearing
Aug 19, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Hi Jean-Philippe!

What about setting up an encrypted VPN between both your endpoints?

JE
Jean-Philippe Encausse
Aug 19, 2015

Hi Chris,

Yes a VPN could cryt the data. But I don't think a camera can send it's data throught a VPN ? It will need some hardware/proxy to encrypt the comunication ?

(IF you don't need live stream) It seems (for me) so easy to push footage outside that I don't understand why camera do not implements something secure ?

Pulling a stream brings many questions / issues.

TC
Trisha (Chris' wife) Dearing
Aug 19, 2015
IPVMU Certified

But I don't think a camera can send it's data throught a VPN ?

I meant using the router to encrypt.

I was under the impression that you were uploading to the cloud:

People send data to a local network box then upload footage to the cloud. BUT it requires a computer to do it.

But maybe you meant just on the LAN and that was just an example?

JE
Jean-Philippe Encausse
Aug 19, 2015

You are absolutly right !

The idea is to put Wifi Camera and upload securely to a remote server on the cloud. Yes I will use a router for a fast setup of camera in DHCP.

I can setup an OpenVPN on a server, is there "small & simple" router that can do that ? Few month ago I find Gargoyle / Open-WRT "router" but didn't try them

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/shop/products/gargoyle-pocket-router-2

U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 15, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Are you happy now? :)

JE
Jean-Philippe Encausse
Oct 15, 2015

Well I tried more cameras. It seems the only one that can really upload real clips with FTP is DLink. I have to try it.

Flir FX works well but it's proprietary model and can't have access to my own S3 storage

My third option is Raspberry Pi 2. I will be able to trigger the recording when I want and upload when I want. And do much more

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions