Subscriber Discussion

Security Guards That Go Above And Beyond?

Derek Ward
Dec 18, 2013
Hanwha

With all this talk of using robotics and cameras to cut costs of using security guards, let me ask you, how many of those systems could save a baby? Below is a video clip from an airport showing a father and a baby, with the father briefly setting the child down on a table, and as the baby falls off the table, a security guard dives from off camera and saves the child.

Not questioning the carelessness of the father, I think this guard deserves a raise. Allow me to ask, what stories or events have you witnessed or read where security guards go the extra mile to help others? Is this an isolated case of selflessness and heroism, or does there exist other guards with this amount of audacity?

Brian Rhodes
Dec 20, 2013
IPVMU Certified

If that was a TSA employee, he probably would grimace at being labeled a security guard!

Marty Major
Dec 20, 2013
Teledyne FLIR

"Is this an isolated case of selflessness and heroism, or does there exist other guards with this amount of audacity?"

Security Guard in Irving Texas Saves Police Officer

Campus security guard saves 1-year-old boy's life

SECURITY GUARD SAVES GIRL FROM DEATH BY SPEEDING TRAIN

Security Guard Saves Man From Suicide Attempt

Back to life Emerson security guard saves tot

OPRF security guard saves administrator

HEB security guard rescues baby in hot car

Alameda Harbor Bay Isle security guard saves kite boarder

In most all these stories, the security guard just happened to be there - and I think these kinds of things happen with some frequency - but not just to security guards. For some reason, when hot dog cart owners or accountants perform heroics, stories don't lead with their respective professions like they always do when the person is a 'security guard' or 'prostitute' (or others).

That said, I don't subscribe to the belief that one should employ security guards over robots just because there may be non-job related heroic acts which need to be performed.

Carl Lindgren
Dec 21, 2013

Robots can save lives too:

CD
Chris Dearing
Dec 21, 2013

That's awesome!

Pretty soon we'll be able recast the stereotype of 'lifeguard' as a buff and bronzed beach bum who risks his life for others diving into the unknown into that of a balding mid-aged couch potato with a joystick.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions