Subscriber Discussion

Security Camera 'Selfie' Goes Viral, But Is It Fake?

CP
Carlton Purvis
Dec 31, 2013

I don't know where this original photo came from, but it's gone viral in the last 24 hours on both twitter and tumblr with most tweets looking something like this:

That tweet has more that 4,500 retweets. This is the original photo making the rounds (the camera isn't even connected to anything):

JH
John Honovich
Dec 31, 2013
IPVM

What the....

I am dumfounded that this has gone viral. Didn't realize regular people cared about security cameras.

Ari Erenthal
Dec 31, 2013
Chesapeake & Midlantic

People care, deeply and passionately, about funny pictures. It's what makes the Internet go round.

MI
Matt Ion
Dec 31, 2013

Too bad this one isn't one of them...

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Jan 01, 2014
IPVMU Certified

I am dumbfounded that people think that the dome took the picture... photoshop layering and a little time...

MI
Matt Ion
Dec 31, 2013

It's hard to tell at the provided image resolution... but it looks to me like the camera is even aiming the wrong way, nevermind not being connected to anything.

Note what looks like the ring of IR LEDs to the left, and the lens pointing way off to his right.

CD
Chris Dearing
Jan 01, 2014

The perspective is intriguing.

Based on the size of the tiles getting larger as you go left, as well as them coming out of focus, my guess would be

1. Subject standing straight on in front of the mirror.

2. Real camera is to the left angled towards the mirror.

Ring could be integrated ir as matt suggests (its in alignment with the logo), although the strip in the middle also looks like a tilt adjustment notch...

Logo is probably 5 or 6 glyphs with majuscule descender in the first and mini in the last.

CD
Chris Dearing
Jan 01, 2014

Wait, looking closely in the reflection of his eyes reveals that this is not a 34MP camera ;)

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions