Seattle Pays $150K To Remove Unused Surveillance Cameras

JH
John Honovich
Feb 03, 2018
IPVM

Seattle pays company $150K to remove unused surveillance cameras. I don't think it says anything broader about the industry but it's quite a bizarre move and amount to spend. Hat tip, MM.

Quote:

The Seattle Police Department installed the cameras back in 2013 but were never put into operation after a community outcry.

Anyone local to Seattle with color about what happened?

Michael Silva
Feb 03, 2018
Silva Consultants

My understanding is that these cameras were installed under a Homeland Security grant and intended to be used for "port security". To that end, about 30 cameras were installed along at various locations along the Seattle waterfront and connected using a wireless mesh network.

Unfortunately, many camera locations were near public parks and major tourist areas, and the citizens in this very liberal city began to wonder what "big brother" intended to use these cameras for. Many of the cameras were also positioned so that they could potentially be used to view residential areas including the many luxury condominiums that overlook the Seattle waterfront. Many citizens were outraged that their privacy could be invaded. The City Council soon took action to prohibit the us of the cameras until a "thorough vetting" of the policy regarding the use of these cameras could be established.

Many years passed and eventually the City determined that the cameras were more trouble than they were worth and decided to remove them.

(1)
(9)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 03, 2018
IPVM

Michael, thanks, very informative! My apologies for not thinking of you immediately :)

Michael Silva
Feb 03, 2018
Silva Consultants

Here is a pretty good summary of the situation from the West Seattle Blog.

(2)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Feb 03, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Until someone gets killed in the park or tourist area, then they will be screaming for the cameras..

150K to remove the cameras sounds kind of hefty. Is there some type of significant electrical work to be done, such as disconnecting from the power line?

(3)
PS
Paul Shah
Feb 03, 2018

Micheal is exactly right.

SPD had many unused cameras stored away collecting dust that they couldn't use as well  

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 03, 2018

San Francisco

Another failed experiment in California. 

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 04, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Hat tip, MM.

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 04, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Pretty sure Camover would have done it cheaper, not sure if they have a us presense yet;)

Marty Major
Feb 04, 2018
Teledyne FLIR

I sent this link to John primarily because of the irony involved in Seattle potentially (probably?) paying the very same integrator to uninstall the very same cameras that they the taxpayers paid to put up on poles years ago.

Anyone know if it actually was the same crew that did both sides of this job?

Michael?

Michael Silva
Feb 04, 2018
Silva Consultants

I believe that one of the local network companies, not a security integrator, got the contract for the original installation. Don't know who was awarded the contract for the removal.

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 04, 2018
IPVMU Certified

...the irony involved in...paying the very same integrator to uninstall the very same cameras that they the taxpayers paid to put up on poles years ago.

For irony’s sake, let’s hope it was the same tech(s) as well.

U
Undisclosed #3
Feb 04, 2018

Why doesn't the city of Seattle have to pay back the $5M from the original Homeland Security grant that paid for the 28 cameras and wireless mesh network that were never turned on?

(4)
U
Undisclosed #4
Feb 11, 2019

Chevron.

Jeffrey Hinckley
Feb 07, 2018

I bet the vendor/designer was glad that did not go online.  What a terrible install.  I am not sure what that camera is (looks kind of like Dotworkz).  Also curious why a multiple radio (2.4/900/5.8) design with omni antennas (in addition to low gain directional) is being used to skirt the shoreland.

5milliion / 30 cameras = 150k plus each camera?  (I generally charge about 6k per PTZ via wireless in metro areas).

If anyone remembers, Metrofi (skypilot radios) put in a citywide public mesh network in about 2004 i believe (Seattle)  It was shortly after this that they tried to figure out what it was for.  (this is where ruckus came in, providing wireless repaeaters for consumers to pickup outside wireless to rebroadcast inside).  I remember them deploying radios at street corners, with 3-4x radios needed than originally designed.  Interference made it unusable.  (Note: I deployed a Skypilot with 4.9 in 2006.  Still running today-one gateway and 10 extenders and 20 connectors based on metro comm towers).

You would have thought that the city would already be against a “mesh network”.  From the diagram, it looks like, in addition to camera video transport, someone was once again trying to create client local access with low gain multiple frequency omnis.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 11, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I could have “converted” them all to dummy cameras for half the price!

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Feb 11, 2019

Bahahaha...they dont want guns, they dont want cameras...so what do they do exactly? Hold hands and sing kumbaya?

(1)
(2)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions