Subscriber Discussion

Samsung IP Camera / Ipolis Experience?

JG
Jeff Grimes
Mar 23, 2014

I am considering purchasing a couple Samsung SNV-6084r Dome cameras for outdoor home surveillance. Initially, I intend to deploy them with SD Card storage, and may upgrade to Samsung's NVR in the future.

1. Does the included software (SmartViewer, I believe is the name) make it easy to search for motion events, and easy to save video clips from the SD cards when desired?

2. Does Samsung include a DDNS service with these cameras or do you have to handle that somewhere else on your own?

3. Has anyone had any real experience with these cameras in regard to the ease of use with the iPolis Smartphone app? I'm curious if the app works well, or if it has more bugs than functionality. All I am really interested in is the ability to search for motion events remotely (with ease). I am a bit concerned because the website does not indicate the new SNO/SNV-6084r cameras are supported in this app (many other models are listed).

Any info/tips or even a suggested alternate manufacturer would be most appreciated.

Thanks

GK
Gunuk Kim
Mar 24, 2014

[Poster works for Samsung]

1. Does the included software (SmartViewer, I believe is the name) make it easy to search for motion events, and easy to save video clips from the SD cards when desired?

A) Edge storage search & playback supported

2. Does Samsung include a DDNS service with these cameras or do you have to handle that somewhere else on your own?

A) Of course, DDNS service supported

3. Has anyone had any real experience with these cameras in regard to the ease of use with the iPolis Smartphone app? I'm curious if the app works well, or if it has more bugs than functionality. All I am really interested in is the ability to search for motion events remotely (with ease). I am a bit concerned because the website does not indicate the new SNO/SNV-6084r cameras are supported in this app (many other models are listed).

A) SNO-6084/SNV-6084 are supported models in iPOLiS mobile.

JG
Jeff Grimes
Mar 24, 2014

Thanks Heekyoung - can you dive a bit deeper into the user experience, especially remote monitoring via the iPhone app? The app reviews in the App Store give me cause for concen.

Brian Rhodes
Mar 24, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Heekyoung is an employee of Samsung. This should have been disclosed when posting.

GG
Geza Gyorfi
Mar 24, 2014
IPVMU Certified

I`m about to order an SNV-6084R and SND-6084R cameras for home use too in the next week or so...

LM
Luke Maslen
Mar 26, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Hi Geza, I'd be very interested to learn how happy you are with those cameras after you've had a chance to test them as I'm also considering them for home. I hope it goes well.

GK
Gunuk Kim
Mar 25, 2014

Brian, this was my first posting, I'll comply with posting manners later.

Jeff, please see the attached link, you can get more information of iPOLiS mobile compared than appstore description.

http://www.samsungcctv.co.kr/mobile/iPOLiS_Mobile-Android_Help.html

JG
Jeff Grimes
Mar 25, 2014

Thanks Heekyoung - I neglected to mention that I have an iPhone (not Android) smartphone, but I'm sure the basic functionality is the same for both platforms.

However, I am a bit concerned with the functionality/stability of the iPhone app. There are currently 31 reviews of the iPolis app in the Apple App Store, and they are overwhelmingly negative; can't connect, very unstable, can only view live (not able to search events), etc. I know Apple & Samsung aren't exactly the 'best of friends', but since you are a Samsung representative can you speak to these issues?

I purchased a "box store" camera system, and although it is quite functional and easy to use (including the Smartphone app), the fixed lens analog cameras just aren't providing the detail I want. I believe the Samsung cameras will provide the picture quality I want (after reading the Samsung WiseNet III Camera Shootout Article from this site). However, it is very important for me that the SmartPhone app work well, and that it is simple to retrieve motion event recordings.

Bottom line: the SNV-6084r camera seems to fit my purpose - will the remote app work as well? Is the NVR necessary to get things working as they should, or can you get by with SD Card storage (storage limits aside)?

Has anyone used the Samsung NVRs? If so - how was the experience?

Thanks,

GK
Gunuk Kim
Mar 26, 2014

Hello, Jeff, as you mentioned, basic functions are as same as on iOS & Android OS.

Mobile applications can be used in different and various environment included the device brand and OS version, but test environment can be limited, so manufacturers have recommended to use tested device and OS version. Also, it'll be similar case of other company's provided.

The consideration is that all functions do not supported from every devices. In this case, it's necessary to use NVR for retrieving motion event recordings, Camera's SD Card event motion playback function is not yet supported from iPOLiS mobile, it's in plan.

I hope this will be helpful to you.

JC
Jason Clement
Mar 26, 2014

Disclosure: I work for a Distributor that carries Samsung.

I found out that iPolis Mobile app does not support 1080p, only 1.3MP and below. This was straight from Samsung. You can pull a lower resolution stream from the camera though.

I have a SRN-1000 and it works well. The above issue with 1080p is frustrating with the app as you cannot view anything 1080p, about the only thing you can do is connect directly to the camera and pull a lesser resolution from it which does not give you access to recorded video. The web client (IE only) works well and so does the thick client. I should be getting a SNV-6084R and I'm going to throw an SD card in to play with.

I set one of my cameras to record at 720p so I could access recordings form the iPolis app and it's very easy. You have a "circular timeline" (not sure how else to describe it) or you can search by event (motion/analytics/etc.). Actually a pretty decent app once you get past the 1080p restriction.

JG
Jeff Grimes
Mar 27, 2014

Thank you Jason & Heekyoung - I greatly appreciate your input as these are the details that are never found out until after purchase. Having accurrate expectations of the system is very important to me as it helps reduce "buyer's remorse".

So in order to use the iPolis mobile app (i.e., view live footage and someday be able to view stored footage) you have to set your camera to record at 720p, otherwise you can't even view live streaming video? Is this correct?

Also, you mention the web client is only supported in Internet Explorer, but the camera specifications indicate that the Web Viewer is supported in IE/Chrome/Safari/Firefox. Have you found differently?

Again, I greatly appreciate all the information you guys have provided thus far, and it seems a few other members are interested in the product and will surely benefit as well.

Thank you,

LM
Luke Maslen
Mar 27, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Thank you also to Jason and Heekyoung Kim for their very helpful information.

Jeff, I've been using a 720p box model of the camera and it works fine with Firefox on Mac OS X. It has sometimes worked with Safari on Mac OS X but regularly asks for a plugin to be installed which has already been installed. I haven't figured out why that's happening yet but Firefox has worked without any issues so clearly one is not limited to Internet Explorer on Windows. I've also found the iPolis mobile app to work fine for monitoring on both iPad and an Android phone using a WiFi connection to the same LAN as the SNB-5004 camera. So far I've only used the apps for monitoring as I prefer to use the bigger screen of a laptop for any configuration or searching.

JC
Jason Clement
Mar 27, 2014

The SRN-1000 browser based client is IE based but the camera web interface works with multiple browsers (I tested in IE, Chrome and Firefox)

You can record in any resolution you want and view in any resolution you want but the iPolis mobile app will only display up to 1.3MP right now. So yes if you want to use the iPolis app and SRN-1000 with 1080p cameras they have to be set to 1.3MP or 720p. I have a 6012M that I configured a 720p stream so I can demo the iPolis mobile app on the SRN-1000. Hopefully they will get it updated soon.

Aaron Saks
May 22, 2014

I work for Samsung. If someone has specific questions on the products, such as discussed above, or would like to demo out the mobile apps, please contact me via the IPVM contact function. I can provide temporary access to one of my demo cameras, so you try out the app, etc...

-Aaron Saks

Samsung Techwin America

National Training Manager

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions