Subscriber Discussion

Salto As A Standalone Getting Data From C-Cure 9000?

Scott Napier
Feb 15, 2018

I am a physical security PM for the Smithsonian, and we have a large presence in Panama for research.  One of our facilities is renovating a dorm space and our security criteria requires proper access control on all dorm rooms.  The problem is that this facility has ZERO comms.  No copper, no fiber, no line of sight for wireless, and non-LOS options are not practical either.  The cost of getting comms to this area would be almost as much as the entire renovation, so that is out too. 

It was suggested that I look at using Salto equipment on this dorm and bring a flash drive from the larger C-Cure system to load up the clearances and other permissions.  I have never used Salto, and we have not upgraded to C-Cure 9000 yet, although it should be done by the time I need to start work on this dorm. 

Here are my questions:

1. Does this combination make sense?

2. What are the drawbacks?

3. Is the flash/upload process simple enough that my facility manager could do it, or should a technician handle that?

Brian Rhodes
Feb 15, 2018
IPVMU Certified

In general, Salto uses the card to transact changes to the system of non-networked doors.

Usually there are 'master' networked hubs at perimeter openings, and they push changes and pull log events periodically as cards are used at those points.

From there, the card is provisioned to open specific doors, or NOT open them in a manner similar to Hotel Access Control.

There's nothing flawed about this approach, but you do not have real-time control of the doors, nor real-time updates. So for your question #2, you won't have 'Lockdown' control of doors.

Does that help?

MM
Michael Miller
Feb 15, 2018

If you use the "data on card" yes you lose lock down control but you can also use online wireless locks which do give you lock down control. Not sure with C-Cure if you can mix "data on the card" with Online locks. 

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Feb 16, 2018
IPVMU Certified

That's helpful.  It isn't too clear that CCure supports the online locks - look at this:

The statement 'high level interface' makes me think the integration is pretty basic and not in-depth.

The statement immediately before that 'wireless and wireless-ready locks supported' lacks specifics about how the integration work, if it does.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions