Sales People, So Is Topgolf Your New Go-To Move?

JH
John Honovich
Dec 06, 2017
IPVM

I've heard a number of sales people talk recently about taking clients and partners to TopGolf.

For those not familiar, imagine if Happy Gilmore opened a bar, TopGolf's marketing video below:

And here is a manufacturer highlighting it today on LinkedIn:

So salespeople what do you say?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Dec 06, 2017

Taking an important client out to a place like this is sure to leave them with warmer feelings towards your product than taking them to Starbucks. 

(1)
(2)
Brian Karas
Dec 06, 2017
IPVM

TopGolf is relatively new, and fairly expensive for what it is, so it has some amount of cachet as a place to take customers.

There is also the techie element, the golf balls have RFID tags in them, so that the system can score your hits appropriately. And the scoring also adds some friendly competitiveness to it, without making the whole event so "athletic" that you wind up with a bunch of sweaty and exhausted people at the end.

People who are not golfers can take a few swings for fun, and then sit back and drink/socialize without being left out, due to how the entertaining areas are arranged (think like a large outdoor covered patio with 4-8 tees at the edge). Everyone stays in the same general area and more or less within conversation range.

(3)
Luis Carmona
Dec 07, 2017
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

I took my tech team out there for a morale booster and everyone enjoyed it. They're very sneaky, though. You have to buy a $5 membership card and then you fund that card to pay for the games. BUT, you can't use that card for food or drinks. Last time I looked they conveniently left that out of the FAQ. So don't fund a card online thinking you'll be using it for food and drink.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #3
Dec 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

You have to buy a $5 membership card and then you fund that card to pay for the games. BUT, you can't use that card for food or drinks.

What about wagering?

Luis Carmona
Dec 08, 2017
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

I'm sure you can bet the card if you want.

U
Undisclosed #3
Dec 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Either I’m ultra-competitive or you’re straight-up challenging me.  In any case, you’re on! 

;)

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Dec 07, 2017

Forget the security market...how do I get a Topgolf franchise?  

(3)
RS
Robert Shih
Dec 08, 2017
Independent

$$$

Gotta crack a few eggs to make an omelette.

(1)
Gianni Viero
Dec 07, 2017
Videotec

Last spring Videotec organized along with our our strategic technology partners Ameristar, SightLogix and Quantum Technology Sciences a series of educational event  in different US cities at TopGolf.

We had good presentation meeting rooms and food catered plus a couple of hours of golf with a teacher. It was overall a good setting to have an interactive discussion, showcase the latest in perimeter security solutions and entertain in a very non-corporate setting.

And it was my first time with a golf club.

U
Undisclosed #3
Dec 07, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Personally I’d prefer “TopGun” by Axis:

(3)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Dec 08, 2017

I'm not a golfer, but I'd probably go for the social aspect.  Personally, I'd rather go to a nice an indoor pistol range like http://athenagunclub.com/ .  I've also considered setting up motorcycle day trips.  It's about $100 a day to rent a bike, so taking a few key people out wouldn't be horrible.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Dec 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I'm not a golfer, but I'd probably go for the social aspect. Personally, I'd rather go to a nice an indoor pistol range...

Maybe eventually they’ll offer some sort of interesting hybrid recreation.  A golf ball is not that much smaller than a skeet clay target, and the ability to intercept your opponent’s powerful drive could make the difference in a close match...

(2)
(4)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Dec 08, 2017

This is the most awesome idea I've heard in a long time. 

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Dec 10, 2017
IPVMU Certified

You’ll have to believe me when I say I thought of it myself, since I definitely wasn’t the first:

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Dec 09, 2017

Best event I was ever taken to was a local ASIS chapter meeting.  Took us to a firing range and had set up the ability to fire all kinds of exotic weapons.  Not for everyone, ,I suppose, but I still recall the thrill of shooting an AK-47.

Hans Kahler
Dec 09, 2017
Eagle Eye Networks

We’ve done a few team outings at Top Golf. It’s fun for just about everyone - even if they don’t golf.  

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 02, 2018
IPVM

Dahua is doing a TopGolf road show, screencap:

Btw, $200 MSRP camera raffle, lol, what's that worth $20?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions