Subscriber Discussion

Rough Price For Solar?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jun 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We are looking at maybe putting a couple cameras on some parking light poles. The issue is most of the lights are solar LED's so I do not know if the batteries can support the additional load of cameras. The other issue is the voltage.

The lights still hardwired are on lighting controllers so we would need to move photocells, contactors to poles, then stepdown voltage at each pole.

May be easier to just do solar at various poles.

Application is a shopping center/strip mall with a pitched roof. If we put the cameras on the roof, we have to shoot down a pitch and have a blind spot on the front parking spaces

2-3 Dahua cameras, 10W max each with IR, and 1-2  Ubiquiti radios. No PTZ. I know the system will have to match the load and account for clouds, etc.

Rough ballpark price for panels, battery, and converter?

Brian Rhodes
Jun 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The lights still hardwired are on lighting controllers so we would need to move photocells, contactors to poles, then stepdown voltage at each pole.

Can you run off batteries that charge at night when the lamps are on?

Also, are the poles big enough to support a panel?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jun 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I think by the time we got a transformer, charger and licensed electrician, charging the batteries at night would be just as much or more expensive. 

The poles can handle panels.

I know there are companies who specialize in this.

(1)
Brian Karas
Jun 12, 2017
IPVM

I don't know if this gives you any useful info, but I am being quoted a little under $3.00/watt for a 12kW system installed in FL. No batteries, but that does include inverters, tie-in to electrical system, and on-roof installation.

FWIW, they are Canadian Solar brand panels.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 13, 2017

We have used the below in the past:

https://www.wavesight.com/technology/hybrid-energy/

Not cheap but works well.

Scott Bradford
Jun 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I'm a big fan of solar, but for this, it's going to be large, expensive and ugly.

If you have power at the poles, check out a pole mounted UPS option.

http://www.clearsitecom.com/

Look at their PPU  unit.  I know other companies make this  

(1)
JS
Jeff Sandine
Jun 19, 2017
RadiusVision

SunWize Power Online system will do what you are asking.

RS
Robert Shih
Jun 21, 2017
Independent

Tycon Systems seems to have a more complete solution.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions