Subscriber Discussion

RF Site Survey Results

KJ
Kenny Johnson
Feb 14, 2017

We watched an EnGenius video and it said to start by doing a site survey to determine which channel has the least noise.

I see where to do a "site survey".
It does a scan and shows me all the wifi in the area.

I just don't know what to do with the results...

How can we tell which channel to use etc etc?

Thanks!

MM
Michael Miller
Feb 14, 2017

Can you post an image of the "site survey" results?  Most manufacturers have a graff that shows channel usage.  You want to stay way from the channels that are currently in use. 

KJ
Kenny Johnson
Feb 14, 2017

Hello, this one is just from around my house... but it is similar to what we see on the job location.   Thanks!

PV
Paul Van Vuuren
Feb 14, 2017

Hi Kenny , It looks like you will have to self plot a graph to give you a better picture.

Other brands like Ubiquiti for example, give you a Spectrum Analyzer tool which gives you an easy to read graph depicting frequency usage and statistics. see example

PV
Paul Van Vuuren
Feb 14, 2017

Once you have plotted your graph on a Horizontal axis increment of 5Mhz you will be able to identify which channel ( frequency in Mhz ) is least susceptible to interference and what you maximum channel width can be , 10 Mhz, 20Mhz, 40 Mhz before is suffers from influencing transmissions.  

Oleksiy Zayonchkovskyy
Feb 18, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I think that it is more simple just to download some kind of heat mapper like Ekahau HeatMapper which is free... (there are several tools that provide planning functionality but the cost) upload the map and then just walk through to have a realistic and understandable picture on what environment you currently have. 

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions