Subscriber Discussion

"Revolutionary" New Smartphone Sensor Can Detect Chemical Composition Of Objects At A Distance

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Here's a new one just revealed at CES:

Using Changhong H2, consumers can analyze the properties of foods, liquids, medication, body metrics, and much more. This will give consumers new ways to improve their personal wellness, select the best fruits and vegetables, stick to their diets and nutritional needs, and verify product authenticity in ways never before thought possible. Changhong is also working to create a broad eco-system of mobile applications that utilize the SCiO sensor for a wide range of use cases.

Everything in the world is comprised of molecules and, theoretically, the H2 smartphone can be used on almost any material. It's a smartphone that creates miracles. From identification of compositions like alcoholic drinks, to process control - with the right apps and corresponding database, it can create experiences beyond our imagination.

Obviously, if this works anywhere near as well as claimed, the impact on video analytics, among other things, could be immense.

Thoughts?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 04, 2017

"Obviously, if this works anywhere near as well as claimed, the impact on video analytics, among other things, could be immense."

How does a molecular sensor impact video analytics?

It's not obvious to me.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 04, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

If the sensor can differentiate between a strawberry and human skin, you can't imagine an analytics purpose?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 04, 2017

at what distance?

Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 04, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Really? That's your objection? How far a mobile embedded version is effective? You don't think a specialized, security focused version couldn't be used at much greater, likely very usable distances?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 04, 2017

Re-read my original comment.

I have no 'objection' to anything.

I simply asked a question regarding the OPs comment about the impact of this technology on VIDEO analytics (something done at greater distances than scanning produce at supermarkets).

Nothing that I can find shows any use examples of this product beyond close-up scanning of objects.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

If the sensor can differentiate between a strawberry and human skin...

This image might give them trouble

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I was thinking biometric stuff to start.  Start witn live detection of Franken-fingers.

Of course it has to work, and I'm a skeptic as much as anybody here.

If they can put a zoom on that thing, maybe it could detect a knife or gun in someones hand when used with other analytics.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 04, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Someone needs to tell them to change their name. Maybe I'm being insensitive, as I sometimes do, so I apologize in advance. 

(1)
RS
Robert Shih
Jan 04, 2017
Independent

https://www.consumerphysics.com/
Very legit technology actually. Thankfully not limited to this phone. There's a separate version available for pre-order as well.

Brian Karas
Jan 04, 2017
IPVM

I know someone who got one of the SCiO stand-alone sensors from ConsumerPhyscis and posted some demo videos of it on Facebook (it was the unboxing video referenced here, but later taken down).  Overall, the results were unimpressive. 

All indicators right now are that we are a long way from having a sensor like this that produces accurate/repeatable results with much usable value.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 04, 2017

CNET did a not-very-complimentary story on this SCiO device almost 3 years ago when it was still on Kickstarter.

And the Kickstarter page shows (only) an interesting statement about an IP dispute making the device unavailable.

Wonder if they took care of that before their big reveal at CES?

UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Jan 04, 2017

Very cool, I always wanted a tricorder!

Off the top of my head I can see law enforcement applications. This could change illegal drug manufacturing/sales and counterfeiting. Could detect replicants faster than a Blade Runner!!!

Not sure I want an airline having a Body Mass Index analytic on their IP cams. Hello $100 fat surcharge from Allegiant and Frontier airlines!  

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 09, 2017

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 09, 2017
IPVMU Certified

'At a distance' might be a bit misleading: 

CR
Chad Ray
Jan 11, 2017

My son is a professional fireman.  I can't even imagine how beneficial this technology could be to that profession!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions