Subscriber Discussion

Revolutionary New Cable Technology Uses Liquorice For Insulation!

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Joint announcement from Beldin N.A. and the University of Wanecta:

April 1, 2017 Wanecta, WY - For immediate release

Today, we at Beldin and UVW are pleased to announce the first successful production run of category 5 rated twisted pair cable using a hybrid construction of conventional polymers and Glycyrrhiza glabr as a dielectric substance. Glycyrrhiza glabr is the root from which the popular confectionary known as liquorice is synthesized from. 

Displaying 2560px-Glycyrrhizic_Acid.svg.png

Plant, root, common form and chemical structure: Glycyrrhiza glabr

Useful Characteristics of Drawn Liquorice

Apparently liquorice has many attractive properties for cable manufacturing including:

• Dieletric constant of  1.077
  • Naturally UV resistant
  • High Ductile strength
  • Extreme Hydrophobicity (Water resistance)
  • Exhibits strong Shape-Memory
  • Can provide emergency sustenance of up to 2.3 kcal/meter (black)

Method of Discovery

UVW Lead Scientist Dr. Reese Caldron recalls:

I was sitting around the lab one Sunday morning when I became fixated on a package of Rainbow Liquorice.  I noticed how the twist rate was nearly identical to those in standard category cable.  From there, it was only a matter of a few months before we had a test spool ready.  Unfortunately it soon degraded into a cubic foot mass of formless toxic goo during a hot spell! We changed the formulation considerably using commercial binders and stiffeners from there, though this ruled out discretionary on-the-job consumption.

Method of Production

Unlike traditional cable construction, LiQ based category cable is extruded, not totally unlike (in principle) the common toy shown here:

PlayDoh Extruder with TwistTool (sold seperately) selected.

Impact on Legacy Cabling Industry

Possibly large, since this development was done in full-stealth-mode.

Impact on Liquorice Industry

Couldn't come at a better time, as changing demographics have produced a worldwide glut on liquorice and liquorice-based products in all flavors, with prices falling year after year, especially in the bell-weather Sweet Brent Black Liquorice commodity:

Related:  Market leader Twizzler [TWZ] as well as liquorice futures are trading up in pre-market April Fools Day trading on the news.

;)

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Apr 01, 2017

You have way too much free time.

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

True, but it's really not too much as long you start early enough in the year.

Some people fancy Christmas or Thanksgiving; a few eccentrics may prefer Halloween, fewer still prefer AFD as I do.

But make no mistake, observing AFD fully is no joke; it requires planning and commitment to a greater degree than the others.

Consider the fact that the slight of a Christmas present delivered a day late is soon forgotten by the receiver, yet a prank delivered on April 2nd may never be...

:)

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Apr 01, 2017

Honestly, until the 2.3k/cal statement I was thinking this may be legitimate.  Then I started flipping through quickly and saw the play doh factory...

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions