Subscriber Discussion

Reviews Please? Anyone Have First Hand Info On Dahuas Below; Primarily The "81230" Models.

TH
Truman HW
Jan 11, 2018

I know reviews cost considerable time and money. I've had limited search results for anything Dahua in the last 2 years, in particular, any of the cameras with the root term *81230* (specified more so below).

People have told me not to trust that the "smart features will work at UHD resolutions offered..." but without reviews that are more than a no accountability passing sentiment (which may not be the product of experiments) I have no knowledge of this, just allegations.

Please, if anyone has any of the following cameras and can speak about their quality in general, I'd be grateful.

1. Hikvision maybe a better product in some categories, but, they have smaller sensors, and don't mention support for H.265 on their websites (only in grey market). I really do want H.265 everything.

2. As I've said, even though the *81230* series aren't [all] yet explicitly included in the Milestone supported products, there is no denying that Dahua seems to have the fastest rate of getting H.265 devices supported of any company, by a Milestone.

3. I'd agree that the results of their PTZ SD6AE830V-HNI wasn't top shelf, but what if you had access to them at under $1100? Is it fair to ask McDonalds product to be 100% as good as Ruth's Chris? Or can we factor value in? My point being, there're some features of PTZ that are necessary for some but not all - and the resolution, zoom, processing power are still pretty good for my Dahua's price point of the SD6AE830V-HNI, all things considered. I will re-read that review, but i'd also like to hear from owners of the device.  

DIRECT user experience for the below would be appreciated, and even BENEFICIAL to IPVM:

For each model # you know, please identify the model, and answer the questions and anything else you'd find relevant about the devices -- and if so, what device you think has better value (price:function ratio) and features. My approximate costs are attached.

My Questions to anyone who's owned them:

I.      VALUE point (What price would be worth buying it at relative to performance)
II.    What they disliked?
III.   What they liked?
IV.    If smart features work at UHD?
V.      Is the device compatible with Milestone? 

Products I'm interested in real reviews on:

IPC-HFW81230E-Z
2. IPC-HDBW81230E-Z
3. IPC-HDBW5831E-Z5E
4. IPC-HF8835F + PFL085-J12M
5. SD6AE830V-HNI (*IPVM reviewed*) Quality comparison to Uniview IPC6248SR-X22 4K
6. IPC-EBW81230
(How does this Dahua compare to Bosch and Hikvision's current "fisheye" cameras?) 

VALUE RATING (SCALE OF 1-10) RELATIVE THE PRICES BELOW FOR EXPERIENCED USERS:

1. IPC-HFW81230E-Z           $425
2. IPC-HDBW81230E-Z        $445
SD6AE830V-HNI             $1,100
4. IPC-HDBW5831E-Z5E      $210
5. IPC-EBW81230                $475
6. IPC-HF8835F                   $771    
PFL085-J12M (Lens)        $250

A 35mm sensor is 4x the area of an M-4/3rds.
An M-4/3rds is 6x the area of a 1/1.7”, the largest common sensor that doesn't cost >$4,500.

(Wider will lower prices; and a Sony Starlight M4/3rds could be impressive and competitive.)

Am I really the only one who sees this as a true opportunity for higher quality? And lower 'low light' noise... saving bandwidth, storage space etc. by the increased sizes inherent efficiency? 

Any and all honest help will be greatly appreciated. 

TH
Truman HW
Jan 14, 2018

Really? No one here has ever used any of the Dahua Ultra Series Cameras? 

The 12MP zoom model...
The 12MP box version?
Dome?

No one's ever used any of these? How is this possible?

I'd be happy even to read an honest review of their products; revision 3 please... that's the 81230 distinction. 

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jan 14, 2018
IPVMU Certified

ipcamtalk.com and cctvforum.com Tons of DIY and lots of Dahua users there. There is a guy called Nayer or Nayr (something like that) that seems to know a lot about Dahua on ipcamtalk.

You may have better results there.

Sometimes if I want to see how a camera performs I try to find demos on Youtube. If you find the camera on YouTube, you may be able to ask the poster more specific questions.

In 3 years, we installed 3 PTZ. The only reason we did that was because we needed the large zoom. Unless there is a live guard manning it, not much use for it.  Some PTZ have some features like auto tracking etc but not sure I would trust Dahua's abilities there...

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 14, 2018

We have just begun installation of a demo project that will involve 8 of the IPC-HFW81230E-Z. We are doing it as a test of Dahua's 4K-class cameras. Specifically we want to see how the 1/1.7" 12MP sensor performs. The project also involves several of the SD49225T 2MP PTZ's. We are big users of Dahua's 2MP PTZ's specifically the SD59230U (and its predecessors the 230T and 230S) and the SD49225T.

The cameras will be covering a large shopping center parking lot and will be live monitored. We are evaluating the IPC-HFW81230E-Z as a parking lot camera to give us wide fields of view with reasonable detail more than 30 feet from the camera.

I do not have any feedback, yet, on how the cameras perform, as we have just started to hang them and, since this is a demo project for us, the install crew is only working it in between our regular jobs. Over the next few weeks we should have something operational and have some experience with the cameras under our belt.

As far as Dahua's analytics and auto-tracking, we do use those on the SD59230U and I can say that auto-tracking is acceptably good overall, especially for the price. We put them on the backs of shopping centers and use them to track activity behind the centers at night. We set the cameras to track for about 2 minutes, which gives our live operators time to respond to the IVS alert we get when the camera starts to track, and go live on the camera in question. That way whatever the camera was tracking is often still in view versus having to pan and scan for it.

Note that I do not check IPVM on a daily basis, so silence does not mean I am ignoring a thread or have no further comment.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 15, 2018

IPC-EBW81230 12MP Fisheye Camera:

We have one of these installed inside where three different walkways intersect and it works great. We installed it about 5 months ago and it continues to work with no problems. We use it with NxWitness. It was easy to set up and use.

As a rough analogy, I'd say that it is like having a 720p camera pointed in every direction at once.

One part of the image has a lot of light during the day and required HLC to be applied to it and that deals with it well enough to be useable.

We have also used two of the Dahua 5MP Fisheye cameras elsewhere which are fine for the immediate area, but after several metres away, the lack of pixels makes the image less possible to distinguish who is there. It is like having an old analog non-HD camera pointed in every direction at once. 

The 12MP cost us about AU$979. The 5MP cost AU$269.

(2)
TH
Truman HW
Jan 16, 2018

I have a line on the IPC-EBW81230 12MP Fisheye Camera for ~$450 ...

Right now, I have a Bosch camera, but the stupid thing CANNOT be sync'd with my Milestone, NO MATTER WHAT! And in contrast, the EBW81230 is one of the only cameras that Milestone actually does H.265. !!  Which will let me see, by dedicating one camera to a single drive to see the amount of space it needs for time, at a given quality... and then compare it to another supported 81230 camera Milestone supports limited to H.264 to a single drive..., with identical settings. :-D  This will finally let me know if this crap matters or is closer to a gimmick.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 16, 2018

Wow that's a fantastic price for the 12MP.

Yes, that would be very good to know re the H.265.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions