TAREK AWADA
Feb 14, 2013

Has anyone used the Bosch NDC-265-P?

JH
John Honovich
Feb 14, 2013
IPVM

We have not used nor tested it.

From looking at the specs, it seems kind of expensive for a 720p color only mini-dome with online prices of $400+. Big pluses are that it's varifocal, which less expensive minidomes are not and it has a relatively strong f/1.2 lens (most minidomes are f/2.0 or higher).

Tarek, can you comment on where you are looking to use this? Is this for a complete Bosch system or would it be with a third party VMS?

Steve Beck
Feb 15, 2013

Tarek, I have used three of those Bosch NDC-265-P mini domes on an exacqVision install and they worked great via ONVIF. They were actually easier to connect than 1 Panasonic camera that had it's own driver for it. Also, we have one in our inventory room to demo clients and I really like the color of the image we're getting. If quality is a concern over price for this project., this camera is highly recommended if you want to shoot down a hallway. Our techs liked mounting them as well.

Carl Lindgren
Feb 16, 2013

The biggest issue I have is the lens focus length of 2.7-9mm. I would prefer a wider range of lenses.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 16, 2013
IPVM

For it's prize and size, the varifocal lens range is quite good. Also, 9mm is good enough unless your camera is mounted quite far away from its target.

Carl Lindgren
Feb 16, 2013

Maybe. With a 1/4" sensor, that should cover our table games but 2.7mm is too narrow (around 68 degrees HFOV) for other applications.

That is what kills me about megapixel lenses. Except for maybe Theia, every manufacturer seems to not care about megapixel's potential advantages for area overviews.

But anyway, thanks to the OP for the heads-up. I'll request a demo from Bosch.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 16, 2013
IPVM

Axis has super wide angle minidomes - M30s

I suspect there are others as well.

Carl Lindgren
Feb 16, 2013

I have to wonder on those specs.

• A 2.8mm lens theoretically gives a 65 degree HFOV on a 1/4" sensor (M3004).
  • 2.8mm should give approximately 85 degree HFOV on a 1/2.7" sensor (M3005).
  • 1.6mm should give approximately 100-110 degree HFOV on a 1/3.6mm sensor (M3006).
  • My lens calculator doesn't go as low as 1.3mm, so I can't comment on the M3007.

I've found my Rainbow lens calculator to be quite accurate in gauging real-life FOV's, while I've found most manufacturers' FOV claims to be somewhat dubious, to be generous.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 17, 2013
IPVM

Carl, let's agree that there are options for wide angle MP contrary to your "every manufacturer seems to not care about megapixel's potential advantages for area overviews."

I checked your numbers using the Theia lens and found the same discrepency. I've asked Axis about it.

Carl Lindgren
Feb 17, 2013

OK, I'll give you this: discounting 180 and 360 degree cameras, there are an extremely limited number of wide angle cameras/lenses available. That said, I still contend that the overwhelming majority of manufacturers consider 2.8mm to be wide enough (it isn't). I contend that to be truly wide angle, a lens or camera must be capable of at least 100 degree HFOV. That is what is necessary to cover, for instance, an entire room from a corner. To get 100 degree HFOV, the lens must be at least 2mm on a 1/3" sensor.

My guess is that Axis is using diagonal measurement. That seems to be the common factor among most false dubious wide angle claims.

Steve Beck
Feb 19, 2013

Speaking of the Axis M3004-V, we are demoing that camera at our office as well. My biggest gripe with the microdome is i have to place the camera right on top of the ojbect I want to look at. So if I'm looking at a cash register or a door I'm fine. The way Axis manufactered the camera makes it impossible to shoot down a hallway because the lens phycisally can't go very high. I would say I'm getting a 60 degree FOV on the camera. I can see our IT closet door and our trash can in our break room. But overal it's nice inexpensive camera other wise.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 19, 2013
IPVM

Carl, a response from Axis on the lens angle differential -: "Lens Angle Spec'd Different from Lens Angle Calculated"

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions