Subscriber Discussion

Remote Viewing IP Camera Problem

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
Mar 03, 2016

I have installed 4 IP cameras at a customer location. the cameras get disconnecting every 10-15 days & when it happens i am unable to view the cameras remotely through public IP.Is it related to internet problem or can b any other . Need suggestions ??

JH
John Honovich
Mar 03, 2016
IPVM

How did you originally set it up? In particular, did you set up DDNS or do port forwarding or set up a cloud access service or?

If you did not do anything to enable remote access, it is probably to be expected that you cannot access the camera.

If it gets disconnected every 10-15 days, I am guessing that the public IP address changes every so often and that is causing it.

UD
Mar 03, 2016

I had set the remote viewing through port forwarding. If the public IP is changing very frequently then how to over this problem. Do i need to take a static IP ??

JH
John Honovich
Mar 03, 2016
IPVM

You could set a static IP but most of the time people use DDNS (e.g., see this intro) to handle this, as it is less expensive than paying for static IPs.

UD
Mar 03, 2016

Dear John ,

In my case the customer has installed 4 cameras at a location(Say A). And he has installed the server at some other location(Say B).From the location B he is viewing what is happening at A.

Does it happens that if the bandwidth of all cameras exceeds the bandwidth of the switch ,the ports get off which makes us difficult to view through remotely.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 03, 2016
IPVM

If the bandwidth needed exceeded the upstream capabilities of the Internet / ISP, you would likely have intermittent video loss but if you cannot access them at all, that would imply the IP address changed.

What's the camera models and server / recorder you are using? This would help us give more specific feedback as their are often manufacturer specific settings / features that can help.

UD
Mar 03, 2016

camera model :samsung SND-5061P

SNV 7080RP----3 CAMERAS

NVR-SRN 870D

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Mar 03, 2016

Most likely, the issues is that the public IP address is changing.

You can get a static IP address that is assigned to the Router, or you can use DDNS.

You can use a free/paid DDNS provider, and have your router automatically update it. Check your router to see which services are supported. Many DDNS providers also provide a utility that can run on a Windows PC on site to track the IP address.

You can also use the Samsung DDNS service, at samsungipolis.com.

Create an account. Then register your device(s). You create a ProductID on the website, then enter the ProductID in the Camera/NVR.

UD
Mar 03, 2016
Dear John, As u said there may b problem with IP address being changed , but the thing is when I power off the router and power it ON I am able to view the cameras remotely with the previous public IP address. I am using the HTTP as 4000. Does the http ports play any role or they are only to forward the data...
UD
Mar 03, 2016
Dear John, As u said there may b problem with IP address being changed , but the thing is when I power off the router and power it ON I am able to view the cameras remotely with the previous public IP address. I am using the HTTP as 4000. Does the http ports play any role or they are only to forward the data...
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Mar 04, 2016

If after rebooting the router you can access the devices via the same public IP address, I would place the blame on the router. I would recommend you upgrade the firmware, or think about replacing the router.

If it is a leased ISP router, contact the ISP. If you have an old one, they may upgrade it for free.

UD
Mar 04, 2016

Thanks john for your suggestions. As i am a beginner in the field of CCTV your courses and suggestions are helping me a lot to understand the working of IP cameras.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions