Subscriber Discussion

Remote Viewing Without A Public IP?

Cv
Chris van Ramshorst
Feb 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hello everyone, I've been looking for a solution for customers to be able to connect to their Windows NVR's when their ISP does not provide a public IP.  In rural areas where I live a couple major ISP's don't offer a public or static IP option, instead handing out a 10.x.x.x address and sharing the public address with most likely hundreds of customers.  Any services or options that someone might be using to get around this?  Not looking for remote desktop or anything like that, more like a cloud service that a phone app could connect to, then to the required ports on the NVR behind the double NAT.  I thought of setting up a L2TP over IPSec VPN router at another location with a static IP, and having the NVR's stay continuously connected to that VPN via Windows built in client?  Tried something called SoftEther VPN with the cloud service vpnazure.net, but only got it working on LAN, cloud part wouldn't connect, thought that may be the answer.  Anything else like that out there?

U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 11, 2017

I just try first time HIK P2P for the same reason

Client sits behind LTE double NAT connection

works very well

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Feb 12, 2017

Going old school I did DYNU and used their updater on a windows 7 box.

U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 12, 2017

Is your win 7 box sit behind double NAT?

UI
Feb 12, 2017

No, I didn't try that.  It's too difficult for me so I use a P2P connection most of the time on my embedded box. 

Josh Hendricks
Feb 12, 2017
Milestone Systems

It would have to use a P2P service (cloud still feels like the right term but I give in). There's no way to route inbound traffic through a double NAT without assistance from your ISP and they aren't likely to provide it except for government use and large accounts.

The alternative might be a cloud-based VPN service such that both your mobile device, and VMS server would make an outbound connection to a 3rd party cloud VPN service provider. Once connected, you could use ANY VMS as if you were connected on the LAN.

I don't know of any offhand. The last time I used one was back in the early 2000s for gaming. Can't remember the name but I'm pretty sure it isn't available under that name anymore anyway.

UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Feb 12, 2017

I have been looking into AT&T's AVPN service to do that securely. Can mix and match connections to the VPN and access from the internet for remote viewing through an encrypted dual authentication portal. Have not purchased yet but looks very promising.

(1)
UI
Feb 12, 2017

Strictly educational

https://portforward.com/help/doublerouterportforwarding.htm

Cv
Chris van Ramshorst
Feb 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I've tested the L2TP/IPSec VPN with a Luxul ABR-4400, and works great so far. I'll have to see if I can get a few simultaneous connections to it and see how reliable it ends up being, and how much traffic happens on idle. This router has the VPN on the same subnet as the local one, so I just port forwarded to the address of the Windows client.  I guess I could also VPN in and then connect the app to VMS, to be more secure.

If anyone has a 'cloud VPN' service in mind please let me know also.  Thanks.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions