Subscriber Discussion

Remote PC For A VMS Workstation??

mh
mark holm
Jan 29, 2016

I have to add a few VMS workstations to an already crowded Operation Center. Someone suggested placing the PCs in the Data Center across the hall, and extending only the keyboard/mouse/monitor to the Operation Center, in an effort to reduce space & infrastructure requirements. Access to the Data Center is limited, so it might not be easy to physically access the PCs. Good idea??

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Jan 29, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Are you talking stretching wires across a hallway or using existing workstations to also view video?

Are the monitors and workspaces already in place?

AT
Andrew Thomas
Jan 31, 2016

Where did you purchase your cable stretcher? Mine doesn't work correctly.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 31, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Where did you purchase your cable stretcher? Mine doesn't work correctly

We have always used Park Tool cable stretchers, they're a little more expensive but really go the extra meter.

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 29, 2016

This has been done in a project in Florida by Kepler Networks using Genetec. http://www.keplernetworks.com/ The customer has had it in place for a few years and all the VMS workstations were brought in this way to conserve space and I believe prevent access to the USB ports and such.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 29, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Are the VMS workstations/monitors already purchased?

If not, you might be better off going with an all-in-one PC solution, from Dell or HP. There's a definite price premium to pay, but when you get done with the labor and troubleshooting the KVM it might be better.

Some even fold away when not in use.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jan 29, 2016

what about PCoIP?

Rob Hammond
Jan 29, 2016
IPVMU Certified

We have recently designed a SOC where all of the workstations were located in a rack in the data room. This had the benefit of reducing space and noise in the SOC. As well were moving the SOC to another location, and this became an easy move with no downtime.

Our AV designer used KVMs with UTP extenders. If you go this route, our AV designer recommends the wake on LAN feature so that the PC can be restarted from the keyboard, and have additional USB ports for archiving video clips. If you have questions, let me know and I will invite our AV designer to this thread.

Rob

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 29, 2016
IPVMU Certified

We have recently designed a SOC where all of the workstations were located in a rack in the data room.

Lol. I read the SOC as "System on a Chip". I was like Wow!

Rob Hammond
Jan 30, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Well it could be a chip, or State of Confusion, Squadron of Commandos, or perhaps Security Operations Center.

JE
Jim Elder
Jan 30, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I totally agree with Rob. I have a project now in a SOC where we are using a KVM with a rack mount workstation (a very expensive machine). There are all kinds of reasons why this is a good practice, particularly if you're using a high-end workstation: The fans make a lot of noise; the CPU itself generates quite a bit of heat; and, the environment is less controlled (ever cleaned the fan filter from a monitoring center workstation CPU?). Also, the more remote location limits access to USB ports and CD drives, thus lessening the probability that they can be used for personal reasons.

(1)
Richard Brady
Jan 30, 2016

"all-in-one" PC/monitor"?? Inexpensive but limited to monitor size. Just a thought!

Richard Brady
Jan 30, 2016

........lol, none of the other posts displayed when I clicked on this thread which might explain my 'late to the game' post!! Enjoy the weekend folks!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions