Subscriber Discussion

"Reliable" Solar Solution For A Minesite PTZ And Wireless Bridge

keith maxwell
May 02, 2017
Northeast Remote Surveillance and alarm, LLC

Looking for a solar power solution with battery storage for a mine site. I can get line of site back to a building with power.

I did a quick search on here and did not find anything.  Zero power available at camera location.

JS
Jeff Sandine
May 04, 2017
RadiusVision

Keith.

We do off-grid camera systems, starting at $7K.

(1)
Jeffrey Hinckley
May 04, 2017

This all depends on the power consumption of the ptz.  Does it have to be a ptz or can it be multiple fixed cameras.  Is heat required.  Many variables here.  

I usually go to the altenergystore.  Ptz caneras usually do not take dc power, which is a problem, so you may have to go with 24dc converted to 24vac or maybe the camera will accept 24vdc.  All depends on heaters.  A ptz with heaters  may need up to 50-60 watts of power in this case, especially if you get one with integrated ir.

I am doing a solar camera site right now, calculated for 4 fixed cameras, no heaters, ir turned off.  Cameras, radios, charge controller will use on avarage about 25 watts max.  Requires 2 panels, 200 amp hours, mppt charge controller.  Ptz will need twice that, but depends on how it is used (touring?, frequently moved?). Depends on where you live and location of array (i live in maine).  i plan on 2 days of no sun and maximum discharge of 50 percent batteries.  Add to this 3 hours of usable sun in december and batteries worse case at 20 f.  You can find many calculators online.  The key is using the minimum amount of power with no inverters or poe power devices.  (i use nanostations per 2 cameras instead of switches, 3watts, dual network adapters, run on 12vdc).

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 04, 2017

Keith,

Eddy Perry had a really interesting and lengthy post on a solar build out.

I think it'll be something that could help you get started.

See link to article Here 

GB
Gavin Botha
May 04, 2017

We use mobile trailers for rapid deploy solar-powered wireless mesh and CCTV expansion solution across open pit operations mined by a fleet of dump trucks, excavators and ancillary equipment.

Our clients required mobile wireless network coverage to provide continuous connectivity across the mine wherever and whenever it was needed as mining operation progressed from one location to another.

The trailers can be moved to supply connectivity where it is needed regardless of the changing topology and depth of the mine.

If you'd like further information send me an email and I will send you some options of the units we supply to give you an idea. Gavin.botha@calibregroup.com.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jun 01, 2017

ComNet.

http://www.comnet.net/comnet-products/accessories/nwksp4.html

30W max power

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions