Subscriber Discussion

Recording To Two Remotely Located Hikvision Nvrs?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 06, 2017

Can I have a remote NVR recording cameras over the internet which are recorded locally at their location on another NVR? The location with the cams has 50mbps/50mbps and the remote backup location has 150/150 so I don't think bandwidth is an issue with about 6 cameras. For a test, I have successfully configured one camera on three separate NVR's over the internet. They are all three recording and live view works. But, the connection from that camera to the phone app fails. Is this because the camera has three streams? Is there a way around this?

What I need to happen is: a camera system in another state is recorded locally to a NVR and simultaneously also recorded at home office on another NVR. Will be using iVMS to monitor and download and need the phone app to work as well.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 11, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Why not just connect the client to one of the NVRs?

(1)
Sean Nelson
Jan 11, 2017
Nelly's Security

^^ what he said.

Also, are these commercial or residential ISP's? If Residential, dont be surprised if you get a call from your ISP asking what you are doing with the constant 24/7 bandwidth usage and they try to get you to go to a commercial connection. Their is a reason why commercial ISP services are more than residential ISP services when talking about the same Download and Upload speeds. Most people dont know but alot of residential ISP's do have data caps on their internet, its usually never reached because it is so high, but can easily be reached with a few cameras streaming over the internet 24/7.

(1)
UI
Jan 12, 2017

It is a commercial account. I can get 35 upload with a static or 50 on dhcp. 

UI
Jan 12, 2017

That is simply put my question.... so i can record to two dvrs?

JH
John Honovich
Jan 12, 2017
IPVM

All IP cameras have limits on the number of streams they send out (roughly equivalent to maxing out the CPU like having too many web browser tabs open). It depends on the model and it is not something that can be simply taken based off specification.

So you might be able to but you might experience stream loss or video degradation. I couldn't say abstractly.

What camera models are you using?

UI
Jan 12, 2017
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #2
Jan 11, 2017

You may also have to worry about latency as well as bandwidth usage.  The path taken between sites may be great one day, but the next day another path may be used which can add additional hops or travel through connections that could bottleneck the data transfer or lose packets.  There are so many things that make up the Internet that are out of the control of any one entity that I find it difficult to guarantee performance or reliability to any substantial level.

(1)
UI
Jan 12, 2017

I assumed there might be a chance of latency and lost video on the remote end. As long as it is not a constant issue.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions