Subscriber Discussion

Recorder - IEC Cord Vs Power Brick?

Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 03, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Am I one of the rare few who actually prefer external power supplies? Sure, it is easier to manage the IEC cord vs the power brick. But, if you were to have a PSU failure (and who hasn't), would you rather swap out the entire DVR, or just a brick, which you may already have on hand and can swap in a few minutes?

I had a discussion recently about this concerning small LCD monitors. I prefer the units with the external brick. I simply velcro them to the backside of the display, which effectively ends up being about the same wire management. But in the case of a bad PSU, I can simply replace the brick and move on. I don't have to rip open the display and take out the power board and replace caps or wait for a board swap.

Bottom line is the minor, one-time inconvenience of managing the brick is not that much of a hassle when considering the time savings you get if/when it fails.

NOTICE: This comment was moved from an existing discussion: Uniview NVR Tested

(2)
TC
Trisha (Chris' wife) Dearing
Mar 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I prefer internally mounted external power supplies for the best of both worlds.  On some Dahua models there seems to be an ideal spot for the supplied brick:

Maybe it blocks the vent a bit too much, but at least it lowers the fan noise ;)

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 03, 2017

I prefer IEC cords.  One reasoning being that the whole unit is usually UL certified rather than just the power supply.  The second being that if someone jerks the connector of a external brick out wrong it may need to go back for repair.  

Generally, in regard to NVRs/DVRs I am not so worried about the power supply whether IEC, wall wart, or power brick as they should not be touched much.  I do have to say I have an intense dislike for LCD monitors with bricks, particularly as they grow in size.  The connection point tends to face downwards and end up obscured by a mount.  This requires taking that entire display off the mount to reconnect when it is easily disconnected on accident.

The ease of replacement of a PSU is a good counterpoint.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 04, 2017

One more thought - I am most often dealing with servers, server/workstations, and Panasonic NVRs.  All of those have IEC cords with a little piece hanging out in order to zip tied the cord near the device so that it does not get unplugged.  The other end is a whole different matter.

DS
David Shepherd
Mar 04, 2017

I prefer an IEC lead directly into the DVR. Much easier to replace/substitute in the event that a power adapter gets lost (yes, even though DVRs aren't typically the sort of thing that get carried around it does happen occasionally), or someone brings a DVR into the workshop for testing/repair without any cables.

Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 04, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Surely a 12VDC/2A PSU can't be that hard to come by in your shop? And as far as them walking away on site, don't you put your recorders in a lockbox or out of reach?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Mar 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

And as far as them walking away on site, don't you put your recorders in a lockbox or out of reach?

If the thieves would just take the power supply and the recorder there wouldn't a problem ;)

(3)
DS
David Shepherd
Mar 06, 2017

They're not hard to come by, but they're also something that tends to go walkabout, even in the workshop. As for installations - while I prefer to mount the DVR in a rack, which is preferably locked, this is not always an option, particularly in residential installations. A lot of DVRs just get set up on a bench, on top of a cabinet or on a desk.

MM
Michael Miller
Mar 04, 2017

IEC cord > power brick

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Mar 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Power bricks are fanless. I hate cheap-ass noisy fans.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions