Subscriber Discussion

Record VGA Output To VMS

JM
Jeff Mount
Oct 19, 2016

I want to record the VGA output from six (6) POS terminals to a VMS that we'll soon install. The POS software has been customized for us and runs on thin clients (Linux). Output from a serial port is not possible. The POS terminals are in the same area but not side-by-side so it may make sense to run the VGA signals back to the server closet and then do the magic. What's a solution that can convert the VGA signal in a video stream that the VMS can record? The priorities are reliability, simplicity, and cost. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Vincent Tong
Oct 19, 2016

You can spit the signal with this device and then use an Onvif Encoder to send it to the VMS.

We do this in bars for protection from people getting top shelf for paying well drink prices.

Brian Karas
Oct 19, 2016
IPVM

In theory this device will do what you want in a single unit (split the VGA signal and encode an RTSP stream). We have not tested it, or even seen it in person, so you would need to thoroughly test it beforehand.

U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I'm hesitant to suggest this without knowing your core competencies, but since you mention customizing your linux based POS, maybe you can yourself or have someone that knows some linux admin stuff etc?

If so, you could consider running VLC or live555 etc, on the client capturing the output and streaming it out rtsp right to the recorder, via ethernet, if there is ethernet.

I've never done this with a linux client, but if it were me I might explore it, since it might be the most reliable, simple and cheapest option.

On the other hand, it could be the 'project from hell' that gets scrapped, that almost worked if it just wasn't for that <random unpredictable stupid thing>.

(1)
Jeffrey Hinckley
Oct 20, 2016

Hikvision DS-6601 encoders. Accept vga and hdmi (future monitor upgrades). If the thin clients support upgrading video card, or adding a video card to mirror the output, this could be an approach, or using a 2x1 vga or hdmi da. Never personally tried it, but I have several loss prevention sites with ip systems that need this. With analog dvr systems, this was easy. Loop out and use dvr channel.

You can also use a Viewz or other such monitor that has a network video output, via Ethernet. Kind of expensive, though. The first solution will accept monitor or thin client updates in the future.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions