Subscriber Discussion

Which Readers Meet This Specification?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 14, 2018

I have read this paragraph several times and I find it quite contradictory. 

"A. Networked Contactless Smart Card Readers: Contactless smart cards reader to securely read
access control data from 13.56 MHz contactless smart cards. The contactless smart card reader
is designed for use in access control applications by providing:
1. Secure access control data exchange between the smart card and the reader utilizing key
diversification and mutual authentication routines.
2. Contactless smart card reader to be designed for low current operation to enable
migration from most legacy proximity applications without the need to replace existing
access control panels and/or power supplies. Operating voltage: 5-16 VDC. Current
requirements: 55 mA Avg, 116 mA Peak at 12 VDC.
3. Universal compatibility with most access control systems and backwards compatibility
with legacy 125 KHz proximity access control formats.
4. Product construction suitable for both indoor and outdoor applications.
5. Customizable behavior for indicator lights and audible tones.
6. Acceptable Manufacturers (13.56 MHz iClass):
a. HID Global (HD) - R10/R40 Series."

It's my understanding that a R10/R40 reader will ONLY read iClass.

Brian Rhodes
Feb 14, 2018
IPVMU Certified

The R10/R40 can be purchased in variants that read Mifare Classic and Mifare DESFire EV1 formats too. (source: iClass SE cutsheet)

BTW, that spec is trying hard not to appear like an HID-only spec, but it essentially is.

(1)
UI
Feb 15, 2018

Wouldn’t that be a RP10/RP40?

signigicant difference in price.

Brian Rhodes
Feb 15, 2018
IPVMU Certified

The 'P' in the prefix indicates compatibility with 'prox', or 125 kHZ formats.  HID markets this as 'multiclass'.

Looking at the spec above, I think you're bidding 'RP' readers regardless, due to #3:

3. Universal compatibility with most access control systems and backwards compatibility with legacy 125 KHz proximity access control formats.

I am not sure if a standard RP10/40 will read the full data set on a MIFARE card, although it will read the CSN.

The fact this spec doesn't clarify this encourages poor implementations.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 20, 2018

Going back to the change orders.... Most of us know better and would recognize the intent for the RP Multiclass readers. Someone will play dumb, and make some money off a typo or ignorance of part numbers.

Christopher Freeman
Feb 19, 2018

written to limit bidders and confuse most 

typical state, federal writers 

(1)
DF
David Fogle, CSEIP
Feb 19, 2018

R10 and RP40 are only base part number references. There is a spreadsheet that I have that has every possible combination of technologies for this series of readers to zero in on the part number that will comply with your spec listing.

You can purchase a MultiClass reader capable of reading iClass as well as other 13.56 Mhz cards AND 125 Khz cards too.

You must specify when ordering to get the correct reader.

(1)
UI
Feb 21, 2018

Just for clarification and entertainment purposes this specification was written by ASSA Abloy in the division 8 spec.
It's one of their many attempts to muddy the waters of security and hardware specifications.
They also specified door position switches and power supplies but noted in the hardware sets that they were to be provided by the security contractor.

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions