Subscriber Discussion

Are Exit Devices Required For This Access Project?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 26, 2016

Got asked late in the game to install access control to an almost finished 4 story apartment building. There's an exit door already installed near a stairwell that would accommodate a Paxlock wireless controller and make life very simple for me the installer. Prox card/fob unlocks from outside, similar always unlocked handle on the secure side.

My state generally follows the national guidelines, don't think there's any tighter rules. Crash bars would be a no-brainer, but I'm hoping that a door handle like the Paxlock has would meet code. All I found from some of the IPVM links just mentioned this:

Think this will work?

U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 26, 2016
IPVMU Certified

How far down does the handle need to go before the door unlatches?

UI
Jul 26, 2016

I'm guessing it's like a normal commercial door handle, probably about 60 degrees

DD
Dan Droker
Jul 26, 2016
LONG Building Technologies • IPVMU Certified

Whether or not panic hardware is required depends on the occupancy loading of the space. If this is new construction, there should be architectural documents that include this calculation. If the occupancy load is small enough, that lock should be fine. If it is higher, panic hardware would be required.

(2)
Brian Rhodes
Jul 26, 2016
IPVMU Certified

This is a good answer. +1 Informative

Brian Rhodes
Jul 26, 2016
IPVMU Certified

The classification of the space makes all the difference here.

I would say in most cases apartments are built with many occupants in mind, so the likelihood a "an exit door already installed near a stairwell" would require an exit device / panic bar is quite high.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 26, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I think the Paxlock is compliant, as it is intended for Occupancy Code R residential.

The loading which Dan mentions applies only to type A,E,H. IMHO.

Double check with the AHJ of course.

Brian Rhodes
Jul 26, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Not if the corridor in question is attached to an 'assembly' classified space like a lobby, gameroom, or lounge. Even small spaces are rated 'assembly' (ie: won't fit 50 people) to mandate certain ratings that may warrant sprinkler protection but avoid firewalls or other architecturally compelling factors.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 26, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Not if the corridor in question is attached to an 'assembly' classified space like a lobby, gameroom, or lounge.

Good point. I was assuming it was just apartments only.

Even small spaces are rated 'assembly' (ie: won't fit 50 people) to mandate certain ratings...

True, though if the 'small spaces' are less than 10% of floor they're on then they may be classified as an accessory space, which defaults to the classification of the larger space.

Do you think this would cover your typical 'apartment building'?

UI
Jul 27, 2016

Thanks everyone, to clarify, this is a rectangle 4 story enclosed apartment building approx 60 units, (I'm confirming with owner) and maybe 100 residents. (think Hampton Inn) One elevator and 2 stair wells, one at each end of the long hall. All apartments open to the single interior corridor that runs down each floor.

Regarding the door in question, the stairwell egresses to the 1st floor long hall at the end of the building. at the opposite end the elevator. Your only egress from the stairwell is to the hall and the exterior exit door is about 4 feet away.

Their is a fitness center and office but they egress through a different door. You cannot get to this long corridor from the common areas without exiting the building or riding up the elevator.

U
Undisclosed #3
Jul 27, 2016

Just to clarify -

You're saying this is an exterior door to the building that is at the end of a hallway where the stairwell for the building connects?

I would say -- personally -- whether it's 100% required or not would be irrelevant in that case, I'd put panic hardware on it. Not only for the safety aspect of it (which is the only way I'd feel comfortable either way), but also for the fact that it's very likely to be used continuously as an exterior door, and I'm personally not confident that a Paxlock would hold up for any length of time whatsoever.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions