Subscriber Discussion

Question On The New Hik-Connect Setup For Integrators

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 23, 2017

In the past, I used my Hik-Online account for all of my customers.  I would add a device with the unique sub-domain and set them up for each individual account.  My customer could download the app and use that log in to see their NVR.  

I have just set up 2 test DVR's that belong to separate customers on my new HIK connect account and it appears that they are all lumped together.  When I bring up my HIK connect phone app I see both customers available on one screen.  

I may be missing the obvious, but is there a way for me to manage the NVR's without having to create separate individual accounts for each NVR customer?  This might get cumbersome from an integrator perspective.

Ethan Ace
Feb 23, 2017

They are all lumped together. So if you add those two DVRs to your account, and open up the Hik-Connect app, you'll see both on the device list. There is no further rights assignment to specific users.

So it looks like you would have to create an account for each user.

I thought that there was going to be an option to login via "domain" sort of like Hik-Online, but I do not see that in the app or web access.

UI
Feb 23, 2017

I was afraid of that.  This really is going to be a hassle.  A lot of these smaller NVR's have been perfect for SOHO's who don't really want to get into the nuts and bolts of the setup.  Now I'm not sure how an integrator can effectively manage these for their customers.  I don't relish the idea of setting up all of these separate accounts, which further complicates which email address I use.  If I ask the customer to supply one then I'm locked out of logging in.  

This whole thing, along with the limited configuration functionality compared to HIK-online DDNS seems like a big step backwards.  

John Bazyk
Feb 24, 2017
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

Each should have their own account. You can manage them all through IVMS. 

UI
Feb 25, 2017

Thanks John, question on the strategy if you do this: Would you set up your own email for each customer or let them provide it.  I was thinking (say my company is "acme") of setting up acme.cust1@gmail.com, acme.cust2@gmail.com, etc.  I fear that letting my customer provide their own email account will get real confusing for me.

John Bazyk
Feb 25, 2017
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

If you did that you should use your own domain for the email. Just create aliases that all go back to a catch all email. I would this this would look more professional. 

We don't install a lot of these anymore but when we do we let the client setup their own account before the technician goes out to do the install. 

If you really want control. You could get your own no-ip account and manage the ddns yourself. 

(2)
MI
Matt Ion
Feb 25, 2017

If you're using GMail for your company mail, there's a "trick" you can use to avoid creating separate users in your domain: you can put a + after the main username, and anything you put after that will be ignored by GMail. Example:

You have an email account, "customers@mycompany.com". You could then register a HIK-Connect account using "customers+client1@mycompany.com", and another using "customers+client2@mycompany.com". GMail will see all of these as "customers@mycompany.com" and direct them all to the same inbox. 

(5)
UI
Feb 26, 2017

Thanks Matt, great idea.  We do have our company domain email managed by gmail.  I would assume that the "+" option would suffice for HIK-connects requirement for a unique email account limited to only seeing that customer's NVR/DVR. 

However, if I want to log in and view my customers' cameras for maint/upgrade etc reasons, I would imagine my mobile app would be very bogged down with all of the separate accounts.  Right now with IVMS 4500, they are just listed as devices on my one integrator account.  My customer only gets the sub-domain for their device.  

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions