Subscriber Discussion

Question For Avigilon Dealers On Avigilon Servers

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 08, 2017

Avigilon Servers?  Anyone building their own? They seem very pricey? Are they that much better than what you can build?

Are they I7 with 32 GB ram? Are the using dual processors with redundant power supplies? I'm not a huge Dell or Apple fan for that matter.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
May 08, 2017

Not building my own - went that route long ago.  The service nightmare was too much to justify the cost delta.  Next business day replacement parts from Dell is hard to compete with.  If building similar from HP the cost is nearly the same.  Home brew will likely be less but involve many compromises.

Depending on model they are not i7 but rather dual six core Xeon processors.

Yes to redundant power supplies.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
May 08, 2017

We have provided some non-Avigilon Servers, but mostly sell Avigilon Storage. We're kicking around the idea of changing our warranty and service terms to the customer for non-Avigilon Storage. The reason is that it simply costs us more money to have 3rd party storage over time.  If there is some kind of weird issue with Avigilon Storage that can't be solved with Tech support, Avigilon steps in to solve it.  If it's 3rd party, it's us.  Again, and again, and again.

So I guess the overall message is: I can sell you 3rd party storage for a potential savings upfront, but I have to charge more for the risk over time.  

Also, Avigilon sells storage that is capable of running their systems. We don't get into the weeds on tech specs. If we're worried about pushing a system to its limits, we'll engage Avigilon on design to get their buy-in.  

(2)
U
Undisclosed #4
May 08, 2017

Graph a template showing a 10 camera system, 25, 50,100 and 250. Build a matrix showing software peripheral costs such as video wall, redundancy, mobile applications, integrations with other software access, I/O, analytics etcetera. Once you build this data and it is structured around your company design and philosophies you will gain the knowledge and understanding to make your investments. I am quite sure most integrators have a mix match trial and error of designs they are currently supporting. If you are just starting out, invest the time to master Avigilon then move on to the next one.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
May 08, 2017

They're about on par with buying an equivalent HPE server. I'll echo what was said above and say that support is easier when you buy their gear and given the marginal price difference there's little reason not to go with it. Being that these are re-branded Dell, they're of much higher quality (with higher quality service I might add) than some of the white box junk you see other manufacturers sell.

Various datasheets for specs can be found here:

http://avigilon.com/products/video-surveillance/hardware-solutions/documentation/

(1)
Kevin Bennett
May 15, 2017

As an end user who has both Avigilon (OEM Dell) servers and servers I have spec'd myself, I submit the following experience:

We have ten (10) total servers and about 450 camera streams.  Two of the NVRs are the Avigilon OEM models that were available in 2013 - I believe these are the equivalent of the Dell R520 (what is now their "Standard" NVR line).  They are decent machines, and in a lower camera density environment they would likely do well.  However, I prefer something a bit more robust and versitile.  

I began spec'ing my own Dell servers - initially the Dell PE R720xd and now the Dell R730xd.  I have been very pleased with these machines.  Since I started using this configuration a few years ago, Avigilon has begun selling something very similar in their "Premium" line - I believe they are rebranded R720xd machines (but maybe the R730xd - our Avigilon rep was not sure), and they would likely meet my needs.

I can purchase my own Dells for less than Avigilon will them to me, though.  However, I do get discounted pricing from Dell through purchasing agreements.  Last time I priced a R730xd with two Xeon 6-core processors, dual 750-watt power supplies, 16GB RAM, flex bay HDDs (RAID1), 2GB PERC, and 60TB RAID5, it was around $3K-$4K less than I could purchase one through my local integrators.

I buy a 5-year NBD onsite warranty, and Dell has never failed to take care of what very few issues I have had (one failed memory module and one failed HDD since 2013).  On a broader note, I manage a total of 18 or 19 physical servers - all of them Dell.  Since 2008 I have had fewer than ten (and prob more like six or seven) occasions to call Dell for support on one of their servers.

(3)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions