Subscriber Discussion

PTZ Controller For Sony 632 PTZ (Not Milestone)

GT
Glynn Thomas
Apr 02, 2015

Hi all,

I have been commissioned for a project for a sports club, to make their sports analytical software (sportscode) more user friendly- enabling almost anyone to be able to use it across all grades (with basic training/instructions).

I am wanting to use a Sony WR632C PTZ (due to its features), will be wirelessly linking it to the club rooms. From there I'll be feeding it to an Intel NUC PC, to give me Sony WR632C PTZ (due to its features), will be wirelessly linking it to the club rooms. From there I'll be feeding it to an Intel NUC PC, to give me a HDMI output, then feed in to a box call BlackMagic- which interfaces HDMI in to the Mac thunderbolt connection. A Mac will run the Sportscode software.

I've got the camera talking through and producing images on the Sportscode software- all good there.

Now I need to control the PTZ- simple Pan,tilting and zooming. My local distributor is unable to provide any concrete recommendations on a compatible PTZ joystick (even after asking the Sony importer!)- sometimes i question what the distributors actually do apart from 'clip the ticket'- that's a discussion for another day....

Anybody have any recommendations that have been known to work correctly? USB or IP please- can't connect via RS485 to camera.

thanks,

Glynn

(1)
(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 02, 2015
Sounds like you might want to run Milestone and use their USB Keyboard/Joystick?
GT
Glynn Thomas
Apr 02, 2015

Would rather not use milestone- find it is very 'un end-user friendly' (I have used it a lot across all their versions) and I really don't need a VMS.

I realise i will require a VMS to provide the control to the PTZ- but it's not going to be milestone.

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #2
Apr 02, 2015

We have found that most USB gaming joysticks will work for basic control of most IP PTZ cameras. No experience with your specific Sony model though.

Ethan Ace
Apr 02, 2015

Here's a response straight from Sony:

The SNC-WR632C can be controlled from a USB Joystick on a PC.

Sony model number is IP-DESKTOP-USB. This the same joystick made by CH Products that is widely available.

This stick can be used directly with the cameras browser when using the ActiveX viewer on Internet Explorer.

This stick also works with many VMS to control many IP PTZ cameras from a PC.

I haven't tried that control via IE ActiveX, so can't comment on it.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 02, 2015
IPVM

Glynn,

Direct response from Sony:

The SNC-WR632C can be controlled from a USB Joystick on a PC. Sony model number is IP-DESKTOP-USB. This the same joystick made by CH Products that is widely available. USB Joystick specification.

This stick can be used directly with the cameras browser when using theActiveX viewer on Internet Explorer. This stick also works with many VMS to control many IP PTZ cameras from a PC.

Sony also mentioned Serial RS422/RS485 (Pelco D) but, for your scenario, I suspect the USB joystick makes more sense.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Paul Curran
Apr 03, 2015

Use Sony real shot manager it's free up to 9 cameras :)

SC
Sherri Cowen
Apr 06, 2015

On IP the Sony IP-DESK will work. The WR632 also supports RS-422/RS-485 (PELCO D protocol)

U
Undisclosed #3
Apr 07, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Also an option is the Sony RM-NS-10 controller, which works with Sony Real Shot Manager mentioned above. Also supports RS-485. Looks like street price is about a grand but might be worth it if you trying to build a rugged kiosk type interface with dedicated buttons, to be used by many people of varying experience levels.

MS
Mohamed Shedid
Jun 25, 2015

sony joystick is called SNCA-Joystick1

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions