Subscriber Discussion

Prying Open A Maglock?

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jul 05, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Client says they have video of a homeless guy using a bar of some sort to pry open a gate very similar to this. This one is of pool, the gate in question is to the playground.

Supposedly the locks were 1200# maglocks.

Is it possible to pry this open?

Would a latch be a better solution? They want to move the existing mags down, and add new mags at the top.

Also need to figure out a way to conceal the wire. Our thoughts were to mount a single gang box on that lock, and run conduit to the wall. My concern is drilling into that plate and possible drilling into the magnet?

(2)
Michael Silva
Jul 05, 2017
Silva Consultants

My guess would be that the electromagnetic lock is not aligning correctly with the armature plate. When improperly aligned, mag locks have only a fraction of their holding force. 

My preferred hardware choice for single exterior gates is a rim exit device with electric latch retraction. For best results, always use a hydraulic closer rather than a spring hinge to close the gate. This will allow the gate to close and latch reliably. Finally, install heavy gauge mesh on the outside of the gate to prevent people from reaching through and pushing the exit device bar from the inside.

The photo below shows such an installation. 

(5)
(11)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 05, 2017

I would use this tool on a gate such as this.

(1)
(3)
(1)
Michael Silva
Jul 05, 2017
Silva Consultants

Like everything else, there are ways that exit devices can be defeated. Adding a protective box around the exit device makes it more difficult to bypass using the tool you suggest.

(2)
Robert Summers
Jul 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Jay,

I agree with Michael's choice of a rim exit device with electric latch retraction.  However, in addition to protective mesh screening, protect the rim device for unauthorized retraction using an enclosure such as the one pictured below:

(1)
(4)
Michael Silva
Jul 11, 2017
Silva Consultants

Yes, adding a protective box of the type you describe is an excellent idea. Do you know of any that are available premanufactured from a commercial supplier? All of the ones I have encountered seem to have been custom-made.

Brian Rhodes
Jul 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Keedex makes a backplate for levers, but I've not seen a kit for an exit device. It runs ~$100.

At one point, Don-Jo mentioned they were working on one, but I've not seen it released.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 05, 2017

It doesn't take much force if you can wedge something in the side.  That's "pull strength" in force.  

A top and bottom would certainly make it a lot more work.  So would some form of metal surrounding the lock when closed.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jul 05, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Well it turns out the whole system is down now, got a call earlier today. None of the locks are locking.

When I look at that, I will take some better pics of the locks in place.

(1)
SD
Shannon Davis
Jul 05, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Sounds like a power issue as well. 

U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 05, 2017

Looking for a solution such as the MM15, however this is not outdoor rated. 

Electromechanical Magnetic Locks anyone? 

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jul 05, 2017

Leverage is a heck of a thing.  Early 90's, back in high school, we used to pop the doors when we didn't want to walk around to the front of the building or if we were trying to get in after hours to get a forgotten item.  It was so common on one of the more remote back doors that there was usually a crow bar stashed in the bushes.  Pop the door, and throw it back under there before you go in so the next guy can get in.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #4
Jul 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Leverage is a heck of a thing.

Archimedes was fond of saying "Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world.", though I'm not sure where he would have stashed such a lever for the next world-mover.

(1)
(2)
SD
Shannon Davis
Jul 05, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I would also guess there was rust build up on the lock as well. I would run into that on exterior doors that were propped open during while it was raining and over time the maglock itself would rust making it really easy to pop open. So regular maintenance keeping the three metal bars on the lock clean and the armature plate clean will help keep the holding force strong.

(1)
(2)
SD
Shannon Davis
Jul 05, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Securitron makes a maglock designed for outdoor use. It is the M62G and has a conduit adapter on the end so the wire is not exposed. Can be either 1/2" or 3/4". That is what we use for a gate. 

(1)
(2)
Brian Rhodes
Jul 05, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The faces where the armature and magnet meet are especially vulnerable to surface imperfections or oxidization that can greatly weaken the bond strength, especially one mounted outside.

See this video from Diagnose This Gate Access Problem

Explanation from that discussion:

The video obviously shows the magnet and armature mating surface covered in corrosion. This is surprising to some, and the assumption is the maglock is composed of aluminum or stainless steel (not ferrous), yet rust on outdoor maglocks is fairly common.

Many maglock manufacturers warn that rusted bonding surfaces will weaken the lock strength, as noted in this Securitron FAQ:

In summary, the rust that forms on the mating surfaces weakens the pure electromagnetic bond that is possible, even if the internal components are unmarred.

The lock in the video may not be a Magnalock, but the plated construction and impact work-hardened rusting of maglock components is a general issue across many brands/models.

Like the note mentions, if maglocks are used outside, a periodic maintenance wipedown with a light oil is the only way to prevent inevitable rusting. It does not mean maglocks cannot be used outdoors, but it does mean that maglocks are not 'set and forget' devices that require no upkeep.

Interestingly, the member comments/ guesses about alignment being a potential issue are technically sound and could be correct. However, the alignment appears pretty solid and does not scream 'big problem!' like the appearance of rust.

(1)
(4)
SD
Shannon Davis
Jul 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The very first problem with the maglock used on this outside gate is it not designed to be outside. I have run into this many times over the years where people not knowing what they were doing and installing the wrong devices. Typically these maglocks fail due to the circuitry corroding before the actual metal as it is not sealed from the elements. Had an outdoor rated maglock been used this would have lasted much longer before than the one shown. It also depends on how solid the connection is between the lock and the armature plate. If it is loose then the metal gets scratched causing rust to happen quicker. Of course the moral of the story hear is always try and not use maglocks, indoors or out.

(2)
(1)
Christopher Moore
Jul 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Just another thought regarding mag locks.  Always do a check of them after closing or put it on your Security Force to do list.  A piece of tape and a penny (college dorm tricks) will make it easy to break into.  And of course the rust and alignment is of major concern as mentioned above. 

(1)
(1)
JE
Jim Elder
Jul 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I use mag locks with bonding sensors. After installation, I test the sensor by inserting a piece of 20 lb paper between the strike and the armature. With the paper present, you can put a shoulder against the door and open it; rust does the same thing  as both decrease the surface area on which the armature is attached. Some folks sand this off, but  that will only increase the surface rust over a much shorter time.  

Connect the bonding sensor to some kind of sounder remote or local (or both) that brings the issue to the attention of management who can clean (or unblock that penny Christopher noted).  

(1)
GH
Germaine Hollis
Jul 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

In my experience I have found mag-locks to be high maintenance in outdoor applications, this is not meant to be a deterrent, but simply a consideration of the job/project planning as it relates to the intended function of the gate/lock application over time.

As a result, I found a clever gate lock that is very robust with a great set of features; the Cisa Elettrika an Italian lock that is well made and ideal in my opinion for access controlled gates.

I have enclosed a link to a video showing an attack on this lock that may give a better understanding of its capability. Cisa Attack Video Cisa Elettrika Overview

As with any access controlled portal a proper assessment must be made during the site inspection and by all means don't allow the customer to dictate the scope of the installation by recommending/insisting on a cost effective approach over a security centric perspective, this will save you a lot of hassle in the years to come.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions