Profit From Gigapixels

Brian Rhodes
Nov 26, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Turning security into a profit center is all the rage. And you do not need to be a Microsoft CSO shilling for products to make money.

Universities are evidently turning cameras into profit centers. Gigapixel cameras have been used as a novelty or promotion but what if they can be turned into money making machines that personalize the game day experience.

See Blakeway Gigapixel Sports prints, eg:

Using a social media integration, people can tag themselves in a stadium photo and share it among friends. Once people tag themselves, they have the option to buy a 40" print starting at an unframed price of $40, up to full framed and matted price of ~$200.

Considering that football stadiums routinely seat between 50,000 and 120,000+ fans, even a paltry 5% sales conversion rate from people 'who where there' on the cheapest print could yield $100,000 or more per event. I imagine this number could increase greatly depending on how 'memorable' an event proves to be.

Gigapixel cameras cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, but Blakeway seems to have found a way to make real money on the concept.

Any thoughts on this? Would you buy something like this, or is it a gimmick?

JH
John Honovich
Nov 26, 2013
IPVM

$100 to the first person who finds Brian in the crowd.

Btw, I think this is very clever.

Some gigapixel related IPVM posts:

Brian Rhodes
Nov 26, 2013
IPVMU Certified

I was not there. However three IPVM readers have tagged me in the crowd since I've gotten emails asking me to confirm 'my tag' since posting this.

Disappointingly, I am not a random tuba player, water boy, or the Mascot for OSU (Pistol Pete).

Luis Carmona
Nov 26, 2013
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

Of course it's a gimmick but that doesn't mean it won't sell. If it makes them money, power to them. It can also be a way to help fuel and develop more practical security applications.

SP
Sean Patton
Nov 26, 2013

Stay Classy OSU...

middlefinger

Brian Rhodes
Nov 26, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Cross that one off the 'bucket list'...

CD
Chris Dearing
Nov 26, 2013

I can imagine the "Avigicont" ads already:

Replace all your outdated MP cams with GP technology!

One GP cam can replace up to 294.2 MP cams or every SD cam in the state of Wyoming!*

*Claims based on sheer mathematics using the principle of multiplication, real-world performance may be not as good. Contact your local dealer for more misinformation.

C

Luis Carmona
Nov 26, 2013
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

"Contact your local dealer for more misinformation."

HAHAHAHHA

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions