Subscriber Discussion

What Is The Common VMS Lifecycle?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Nov 15, 2018

Hi guys,

I want to ask what is the common VMS lifecycle.

Milestone for example from GA (X) to limited availability X + 7 month, from limited to discontinued X + 3 years, terminated X + 4 years.    

I see Genetec has similar stages but I cannot see their guideline in years

Is this common lifecycle?

Thanks

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Nov 15, 2018

Disclosure - I work for Genetec

Genetec SW Life cycles can be understood by looking at the version & Release #

Example Security Center is in Version 5 Release 7 = SC 5.7 

We don't have a guideline on how long a Version will be sold until a new one comes out, but looking at past history; Omnicast Version 4 was primary almost 10 years before being replaced and the final release 4.8 is still supported today

As for releases - we typically avg. 1-2 per year

Hope that helps

(1)
Sean Patton
Nov 15, 2018

Here is the official Security Center product lifecycle posted on the Genetec Technical Assistance Portal, going back to 3.0:

"CU End Date" stands for Cumulative Update, which are the major patches within each Service Release.

(1)
DL
David Lim
Nov 15, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Hi UM#1,

I’m the product manager for video surveillance at Genetec, unfortunately I cannot validate that UM#2 works for Genetec but her/his information is not quite complete.

Our general lifecycle policy is to provide hotfixes and  cumulative updates, which contain the latest hotfixes for a given version, for one year after the general availability (GA) of the next version. Customers with a Genetec Advantage plan will have access to new hotfixes and updates developed to address any outstanding issues they run into until the end of life of the version, which is minimum 4 years after the initial GA of that version.

The duration of specific stages can be extended for certain releases, to account for the time between new release launches. Because of this, we publish individual version lifecycles on our support portal (portal.genetec.com) so that customers have full access to the information.

We have a general description of our lifecycle management here: 

https://www.genetec.com/support/maintenance/genetec-lifecycle-management

Regards,

David

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Nov 15, 2018
IPVMU Certified

...unfortunately I cannot validate that UM#2 works for Genetec but her/his information is not quite complete.

It is rather succinct, though.  Is there anything misleading or untrue in it?

*Although I am undisclosed, I definitely don’t work for Genetec*

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Nov 15, 2018

Great info. So in general the lifecycle is around 5 years for customers under some sort of active maintenance contract. 

Thank you!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions