Subscriber Discussion

Will Magnet Camera Holders Lose Bond If Lightning Strikes?

Jeffrey Kintzler
Jul 18, 2017

[Mod note: Poster is from Magdaddy.com]

In some of our prior discussions we were asked about what would happen if a building took a direct lightning strike.

In the previous thread it was stated that nothing would happen and that there would be no loss of magnet pull force. I can now tell you firsthand that we were absolutely correct. Last week Wednesday around 9AM our building took a direct hit.

It blew out all of our power and our modem along with a few other things. Never felt anything like that before in my life. The good thing to come out of it is that all of out magnetic fasteners were all still in place with no effect at all. We took advantage of the situation and took some down and tested the pull force. It tested perfect to spec.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 18, 2017
IPVMU Certified

In the previous thread it was stated that nothing would happen and that there would be no loss of magnet pull force. I can now tell you firsthand that we were absolutely correct.

Jeffrey, with all due respect, extrapolating the results of a single lightning strike to the general case of all lightning strikes is foolhardy.

Even with a 'direct hit' on a building the various paths to ground that might be taken would imply great differences in the outcomes.

Lightning strikes are very much magnetic events, and although I don't doubt the events of the incidence at hand, I believe it is inappropriate to use them as anything but anecdotal.

Jeffrey Kintzler
Jul 19, 2017

Telephonesmodemscomputers and other electronic devices can be damaged by lightning, as harmful overcurrent can reach them through the phone jackEthernet cable, or electricity outlet.[18] Close strikes can also generate electromagnetic pulses (EMPs) – especially during "positive" lightning discharges.

Lightning currents have a very fast rise time, on the order of 40 kA per microsecond. Hence, conductors of such currents exhibit marked skin effect, causing most of the currents to flow through the outer surface of the conductor.[19]

In addition to electrical wiring damage, the other types of possible damage to consider include structural, fire, and property damage.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Did you hit "Reply" by accident?

U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 18, 2017

Its those darn solar flares you gotta watch out for!!

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Don't forget about sunspots...

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jul 19, 2017

...Mercury in retrograde...

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Jul 19, 2017
a Are you joining your friends at Kiddie Land today?
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions